Requisition # 2018-9437
Department Laboratory Animal Resources
Category Research and Laboratory
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Under the supervision of the Laboratory Animal Resources (LAR) Director/University Attending Veterinarian, the Staff Veterinarian will provide veterinary services and management of all phases of healthcare for University animals. The staff veterinarian must have the highest standards of professional integrity and comply with all University policies and procedures, federal, state, and local regulations. This position offers professional development opportunities to attend selected regional and national meetings on laboratory animal science and medicine.
- Primary responsibility for clinical veterinary care of all laboratory animals, including aquatic species, rodents, and non-human primates
- Provide veterinary oversight for clinical care programs under the direction of the Attending Veterinarian, including regular consultation with researchers and their staff
- Shared on-call responsibility during evenings and weekends (approximately 40% of on call)
- Attend, perform, and advise on surgery, surgical techniques, and anesthesia
- Perform veterinary review and consultation with investigators for all IACUC protocols
- Develop and deliver training for LAR staff, PI's, research staff, and members of IACUC
- Supervise veterinary technicians and transgenic breeding technician responsible for providing clinical and technical services
- Write, review and update veterinary and compliance policies, guidelines, and SOP's as required
- Oversee quality assurance and disease surveillance programs
- Serve as the designee of the Attending Veterinarian as requested
- Represent the University as appropriate at internal/external meetings and venues
- Assist with special projects and duties as necessary
The position requires that the individual is willing and able to work with all species of laboratory animals, BSL-1 or BSL-2 level infectious agents, hazardous chemicals and radiation and use all appropriate safety measures in working with those agents. The staff veterinarian must be licensed to practice in at least one state. The position also requires that an individual is able to lift 50lb.
Candidate must have a Veterinary degree (D.V.M./V.M.D.) and be licensed to practice in at least one state and be willing to obtain a license and USDA accreditation in New Jersey. Candidate must be knowledgeable of all applicable state, federal and local laws that regulate animal use in research. Candidate must have a minimum of 3+ years' experience working in laboratory animal medicine.
Competence in operating software programs - word processing, spreadsheets and databases. Excellent interpersonal, communication, problem solving, and analytical skills are required. Flexibility, adaptability, and negotiation acumen are key traits necessary to the position. Candidate must be a skilled communicator with ability to collaborate, supervise and motivate under stressful conditions. Candidate must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
ACLAM Board certified or actively working toward board certification
Two or more years of supervisory experience
Experience with electronic protocol management systems (Topaz/Granite) and electronic medical records
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.