Chief Compliance Officer
Requisition Number STA - 201000000667
Job Title Chief Compliance Officer
The University of North Texas System is composed of the UNT System Administration (UNTS Administration), headquartered in Dallas, and three universities, the flagship University of North Texas in Denton, the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth, and the University of North Texas at Dallas (UNT Dallas). UNT Dallas is the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city, and its mission is to empower students, transform lives and strengthen communities.
The UNTS Administration and the UNT Dallas seek an individual to be the Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) for both entities. The CCO is responsible for providing leadership and guidance in establishing and implementing a comprehensive compliance program that addresses regulatory requirements governing the University and University of North Texas System. The CCO is responsible for overseeing and coordinating among compliance areas related to research and grant activities, finance, student affairs, human resources, equal opportunity, information technology and privacy, athletics, and other highly regulated risk areas and defined institutional risks. The CCO partners with compliance professionals across the University and the UNT System in order to create a seamless, well-coordinated, and effective compliance strategy. Reporting directly to the President of UNT Dallas and also to the Chancellor of the UNT System, the CCO functions independently and objectively in reviewing and evaluating compliance issues/concerns and oversees the administrative conflict of interest management process. The CCO also works closely with the leadership of the UNT Dallas to ensure that University policies and practices align with those of the System and adhere to the highest level of professionalism and integrity.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Establish and chair an institutional Compliance Committee for UNT Dallas and one for the UNTS Administration and provides leadership for the institutional compliance function by giving specific guidance to management, professional staff, and individual departments as appropriate.
- Coordinate the UNT System Executive Compliance Committee, which includes the Chancellor, Institution Presidents, Chief Compliance Officers, Chief Audit Executive and General Counsel.
- Lead efforts for the UNT System Administration and UNT Dallas to comply with the UNT System Compliance and Integrity Program regulation.
- Develop, coordinate, and participate in a multifaceted educational and training program that focuses on the elements of the compliance program.
- Seek to ensure that all appropriate employees and management are knowledgeable of, and comply with, pertinent federal and state standards.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a system for confidential reporting and investigation of compliance concerns with an appropriate response process.
- Coordinate an external compliance reporting system (toll free hot line) allowing for anonymous compliance reporting.
- Receive, triage and ensure the resolution of complaints and/or concerns including conducting investigations, compliance reviews.
- Manage the Records Retention program for UNT Dallas and the UNTS Administration.
- Collaborate across the UNT System with Compliance, Audit, Office of General Counsel, and others.
- Compile and analyze data and submit quarterly, annual and ad hoc reports.
- Make presentations to the Board of Regents as appropriate.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree in related field and a minimum of seven years of progressive compliance experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
- A demonstrated track record of effectively implementing compliance controls and resolving issues.
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Personal traits of high integrity, team orientation, professionalism, and trustworthiness.
- Demonstrated success in working with leadership to integrate compliance into daily operations.
- Visionary and collaborative leadership experience leading teams in a complex organization.
- Demonstrated credibility and effectiveness in interacting across the university, with administrators, faculty, and staff.
- Experience working across numerous academic and administrative units (e.g., finance, student affairs, research, etc.)
- Excellent oral, presentation and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of major functional administrative areas within the University.
- Experience in conducting training.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with governmental agencies, business, and industry.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Experience developing and implementing training and internal monitoring activities (e.g., leadership over conflict-of-interest policies and procedures, institutional compliance hotline, etc.).
- Demonstrated credibility and effectiveness in interacting with outside regulatory officials.
- Training/experience in research compliance.
- Training/experience in environmental health and safety.
- Training/experience in accounting, controls, finance, and/or audit.
- Training/experience in equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
- Training/experience in higher education compliance requirements.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds
Driving University Vehicle? No
Substitution of Experience/Education No
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree in related field and a minimum of seven years of progressive compliance experience?
- Cover Letter