The University of Miami is looking for a Sr. Instructional Designer.
Incumbent is responsible for the creation and delivery of university-level course content for online degree programs. Incumbent models leadership, collegiality and professionalism in the course development process and works within a highly collaborative instructional design team.
Incumbent will be involved in all phases of online course development, including media production and will have overarching responsibility for ensuring both the integrity and excellence of the final course product.
The position is also responsible for leading Faculty Subject Matter Experts and providing mentoring, support and guidance to faculty and other instructional design staff in the creation of the online student experience and will collaborate with vendors and stakeholders across the University in order to implement best practice and promote the usage of learning technology tools.
Incumbent ensures that quality standards, brand promise, and the University of Miami’s vision and mission are reflected in all aspects of the student experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Leads faculty and collaborates with academic leadership to develop course level outcomes, objectives and curriculum for online courses. Assists faculty to generate an understanding of program level objectives, instructional models, and positioning for target audience/market.
• Collaboratively, in alignment with faculty subject matter experts, edits, writes, and designs instructional content for courses, in voice and style suited to the target audience, and in accordance with institutionally-determined learning models, platforms, and best practices.
• Collaboratively with faculty subject matter experts, creates Course Scope and Sequence, and curriculum and develops online course content.
• Designs, develops, or oversees the development of a variety of instructional media elements and coordinates media production: sets schedule and production timelines; assembles final elements of media; integrates media into online courses to ensure all accessibility and quality standards are met according to Meyer’s principles of multimedia.
• Ensures that the content media aspects of the course are consistent with the learning outcomes and commensurate with the learning needs of the particular students for which the course is designed.
• Creates/Builds all course components in LMS and assures courses meet or exceed quality and best practice standards, including navigation, technical functionality, with meticulous proofreading and editing.
• Facilitates decision making with budget, time, and resources in mind and proactively identify potential problems and solutions to ensure course development is completed on time and within budget and quality standards.
• Trains and mentors less experienced instructional designers.
• Assists in developing standard processes across the domain team of course developers.
• Oversees special projects as assigned and perform other duties as assigned.
TECHNICAL, MANAGEMENT, AND PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
• Bachelor’s Degree required in related field, e.g., Education, Instructional Design, Curriculum Development, etc. Master’s Degree in field of expertise strongly preferred in the area of instructional design, education, curriculum development, instructional technology or teaching and learning.
• Minimum of 4 years of online course design experience, curriculum development or related experience within a higher education environment required. Specific experience working with Blackboard, Canvas, or similar LMS required.
• Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills required.
• Fluency using course development tools for creating instructional media, such as interactive presentations, video, multimedia, required. Work samples or a portfolio will be reviewed during the interview process.
• Advanced critical thinking, analysis and synthesis skills required.
• Understanding of multiple learning theories and frameworks required.
• Must be able to work collaboratively and creatively in a deadline driven environment.
• Must be able to manage multiple projects at different stages while meeting deadlines and quality standards.
• Must be precise, thorough, and detail oriented.
Apply online at www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P100044272
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information-https://www.hr.miami.edu/careers/employment-laws-eo/index.html]]>