The Administrative Assistant performs a variety of clerical functions and office support activities for assigned department(s) to facilitate the efficient operations of the office.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
Supports department and/or department leadership with daily clerical tasks. Plans meetings and takes detailed minutes, as needed. Answers phone calls, provides information to callers or connects callers to appropriate staff. Schedules appointments and updates calendars. Makes travel arrangements and reservations for department leadership and staff, as needed. Composes and types correspondence, such as informative materials; creates spreadsheets and presentations. Greets and provides general support to visitors. Develops and maintains department filing system. Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Minimum 1 year of relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
• General knowledge of office procedures and operations
• Ability to accurately prepare and maintain records, files, reports and correspondence
• Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form
• Ability to maintain effective interpersonal relationships
• Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion
• Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail
• Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office)
Department of English Specific Functions:
Academic Program Support:
• Coordinates course scheduling for English 200-400-level undergraduate literature and creative writing classes in CaneLink scheduling management system.
• Creates and edits department undergraduate literature and creative writing course bulletin in print and online.
• Liaises with faculty instructors for course scheduling and undergraduate advising.
• Communicates with staff in English Departments at peer institutions to research and foster best practices in recruiting and supporting English majors and minors and boosting enrollments in all English classes.
• Maintains and processes all literature and creative writing faculty and student evaluations.
• Liaises with local high school English teachers and departments to encourage partnerships and outreach to South Florida K-12 educators.
• Maintains and facilitates undergraduate alumni database.
• Conducts outreach to department alumni and helps to create and support department alumni council.
• Provides support for the Director of Undergraduate Studies and the department Undergraduate Studies Committee.
• Provides support as needed for the Director of Writing, the English Composition program, and the Director of the Writing Center.
Communications and Event Planning:
• Assists in maintaining Department web pages, Department social media accounts, student and alumni listservs, outreach brochures and blogs.
• Creates and edits promotional materials for department events and programs such as speaker series, academic conferences, recruiting days, outreach to new students.
• Books and manages travel, catering, space for academic events such as conferences, lectures, video conferencing, alumni panels and workshops, etc.
• Initiates and processes faculty and visitor Expense Reports, Purchase Requisitions, reimbursements and honoraria, and other financial processes in Workday.
• Maintains department office supply inventory, including ordering, receiving and distribution.
This position will report to the department Office Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Excellent verbal, written, and online communication skills.
• Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality.
• Strong organizational and follow-up skills.
• Experience preferred in online Content Management Systems, web development, graphic design, and social media and video management.
Apply online at www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P100044270
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information-https://www.hr.miami.edu/careers/employment-laws-eo/index.html]]>