Stationary Fireman II
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Under general supervision, performs all duties in the operation of stationary boilers and auxiliary mechanical equipment at the University, and of campus buildings and facilities on a continuous around-the-clock basis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates stationary boilers and related mechanical equipment.
- Maintains the proper operation, adjustment and repair of boilers, pumps, turbines, compressors, steam lines, water lines, valves, water softeners, water heaters and all related equipment in accordance with code regulations and operating procedures.
- Checks gauges, records readings and makes necessary repairs.
- Ensures compliance with federal regulations governing environmental protection, safety, hazardous waste disposal and the use of chemical substances and materials.
- Conducts periodic inspections of the boiler room and equipment.
- Maintains operating logs and prepares reports.
- Maintains cleanliness of facility work areas and other areas as required.
- Responds to emergencies.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
High school or GED; at least 5 years of successful experience as a Stationary Fireman I that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of boiler operation and repair.
- Ability to service and maintain pipes, valves and gauges on boilers.
- Ability to maintain boiler operations at the desired level.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees.