Under direct supervision, enforces local, state, and federal laws and ensures compliance with University policies. Provides security for personnel, real property, and equipment. Investigates and documents crimes/incidents, documents and preserves evidence, and provides legal testimony. May be assigned to any shift; may perform campus patrol or serve as substation, victim/witness assistance, or crime prevention officer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Patrols university property, in a vehicle or on foot, to provide security and traffic law enforcement.
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency radio calls.
- Renders first aid at accidents; takes and writes incident/accident reports, including those of missing/stolen property and criminal activity.
- Conducts accident and crime investigations and prepares detailed reports, including State Motor Vehicle Accident Reports and State Uniform Incident Reports.
- Provides escort services for visitors, students, staff, faculty, and individuals responsible for transportation of monies to or from university depositories; provides public assistance, including lockout services, first aid, and vehicle jump-starts.
- Provides building security, including locking and unlocking doors.
- Operates miscellaneous equipment including emergency vehicles, radar, and breath alcohol analyzers, magnetometers.
- Processes evidence, prepares court cases, and provides legal testimony.
- Writes and files daily activity report with superior officer.
- May serve in the capacity of substation officer, victim/witness assistance officer, or crime prevention officer.
- May serve in the capacity of field training officer on completion of specialized training.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Graduation from an accredited law enforcement academy; no previous work experience required.
State of Kentucky Certified Law Enforcement Officer, or eligibility for Certification by waiver. Possession of a valid Kentucky driver’s license
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Skill in the use of first aid procedures.
- Ability to write reports containing technical information.
- Skill in utilizing building security and lock systems and procedures.
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Ability to complete moderately complex administrative paperwork.
- Ability to gather and organize legal evidence.
- Skill in completing accident and criminal investigations.
- Skill in providing protection services to individuals on campus.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Skill in the operation of police equipment such as radar and breath alcohol analyzers.
- Ability to provide legal depositions and testimony.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- The employee’s duties require frequent exposure to high degree of danger or peril and a high degree of physical conditioning.
Apply for Patrol Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly