Farm Technician II (Livestock)
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Under general supervision, performs farm activities, primarily related to goats and cattle, such as calving and kidding activities, tagging, vaccinations, feeding, weighing, harvesting and feeding hay crops which includes heavy equipment operation. Cares for livestock and performs minor electrical, plumbing, fence repairs and carpentry work on farm buildings as assigned. The person will be responsible for the daily care of livestock at the research farm which includes both small and large ruminant animals. The person will assist with data collection related to different research and demonstration projects. They will be responsible for keeping the Animal Science PI and Co-I as well as the Farm Manager informed of any issues related to the animals at the research farm. They will be responsible for keeping track of animals on research projects and insuring they are being cared for properly.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Daily care of livestock including feeding, watering, pasture evaluation, pasture management, and performs visual inspection of animal and treats minor ailments or injuries.
- May coordinate the work of small crews of Farm/Animal Attendants engaged in different activities including students and producers at field days.
- Drives and operates hay equipment, tractors and other farm equipment.
- Applies pesticides and fertilizers, which includes measuring and mixing chemicals and calibrating the application equipment.
- Performs maintenance and minor repairs on farm vehicles such as changing oil and filter, adding fluid or replacing hoses and belts.
- Performs minor electrical, plumbing, fence repairs, and carpentry work for the construction and maintenance of buildings and fences.
- Plants and monitors forage crops as necessary.
- Assists project leaders with data collection.
- Cleans shops, barns, sheds, barn lots and office facilities.
- Drives truck to transport livestock, farm supplies, tools and equipment.
- Position will require some weekend work.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
High School diploma or GED required, two (2) years of farm work experience highly desired. BS degree in agriculture, Animal Science, preferred. Applicants with experience working with goats and/or cattle will be given preference.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of basic care for livestock
- Knowledge of farm operations.
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance of farm equipment.
- Knowledge of forage planting and harvesting techniques.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Ability to work with livestock both small and large.
- Able to work weekends as needed.
- Work with others and as an individual to get task completed on time.
- Self started and able to work alone.
- A valid KY driver’s license.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Most work will be outside and may be in adverse weather conditions.
- Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Extensive physical activity. Requires strenuous physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects over 50 pounds.
- Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.
Apply for Farm Technician II (Livestock)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly