Temporary Aide - Police Communication Technician
Applications will be accepted until October 22, 2018.
Candidates are required to submit the following to be considered for this position:
- Resume, with date ranges, whether it was full or part time, and hours per week worked.
- Cover letter, outlining how your skills meet those required for this position.
Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application. This is an essential service position (Required to be on duty to perform essential and/or emergency services of the agency without delay and/or interruption).
What we offer:
The hourly rate for this position starts at $20.69.
This position has been determined to be eligible for overtime (non-exempt) under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Provide and maintain a safe and secure environment in which academic pursuits may flourish, in accordance with the established goals of the University of Colorado, through service in the following areas: POLICE - provide for the safety and security of persons and property on the UCCS campus. Enforcement of state and federal statutes and University rules and regulations. Responsible for reporting, investigating and processing criminal and non-criminal incidents on the UCCS campus.
Your key responsibilities include:
- Protects the public by receiving, analyzing, interpreting, and prioritizing multiple simultaneous emergency and non-emergency calls for service for police, fire, ambulance, rescue, security, parking, facilities, and other university and outside departments and agencies using multi-line telephone consoles, multi-channel radio consoles, multiple computer systems and databases and multiple alarm systems to promptly and accurately determine the level of response required for each prioritized event and to allocate and deploy the appropriate and necessary resources.
- Records and documents details of call information, resource deployment, response times, unit activity and status, personnel deployment and status, pending incident status and call loading by accessing and operating a computer-aided dispatching system.
- Expeditiously processes, coordinates and relays concise, accurate information by accessing, extracting, analyzing and interpreting general, criminal justice, departmental, university and other printed or computer based information resources.
- Enters, audits, modifies, updates, corrects, removes, replaces, records, documents, retrieves, distributes and secures local, state and national criminal justice records and databases, departmental and University databases, lists, logs, forms, files, records, memoranda, and written procedures.
- Trains new communications personnel by providing instruction, counseling, direction, evaluation, critique and practical proficiency examination using a structured departmental communications training program.
- Prepares documents, memoranda, training materials, procedures manuals, disaster response protocols and other written materials for dissemination and distribution after review and approval by supervisors.
- Position monitors numerous computer alarm systems including 911 notifications, fire alarms, and building control alerts. Position analyzes the alarm information in order to deploy appropriate emergent and/or non-emergent response and records all incident activity into CAD. Position operates, troubleshoots, and aids in the maintenance of numerous dispatch equipment including all computers, radios, phones, recording equipment, fax machine and other dispatch office equipment and supplies. Any equipment problems or failures that cannot be resolved by the technician must be referred to appropriate personnel or department.
- All other,duties as assigned.
Candidates must understand, and comply with the following:
- Campus Security Authority
- Drug Free Workplace
- Essential Services Designation
- Shift Work
- Police dispatching experience in University, on-campus housing environment
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and appropriately prioritize work
- Experience working effectively with a diverse population
- Use a software product or product group to generate internal and external communications
- Process information with high levels of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to listen and record accurate information
- Knowledge of applicable computer applications and basic computer functions
- Seek performance feedback and identifies approaches to improve own and others performance
- Engage regardless of ethnic, racial, political, gender, religious, intellectual background
- Ability to adhere to ethical business practices and promote ethical behavior
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to perform assigned responsibilities with minimal to moderate supervision
- Interpret and apply related federal, state, and local laws, rules and regulations
- Build effective working relationships within and across departments and reporting lines
- Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously
- Interpersonal skills
- Job knowledge
- Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously
What we require:
- One year of experience in an occupational field related to the work assigned to the position. Completion of an authorized Communication Training Officer Program or equivalent will substitute for the required experience.
What we'd like you to have:
- Police dispatching experience in University, on-campus housing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and appropriately prioritize work.
- Experience working effectively with a diverse population.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Resume must include job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hours per week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Go to https://www.cu.edu/cu-careers/special-instructions-classified-staff-applicants to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
Part of, if not the entire, comparative analysis process for this position will involve a review of the information you submit in your application materials by Subject Matter Experts. Therefore, it is essential that in the experience portion of your application material, you describe the extent to which you possess the education, experience, and competencies outlined in the job announcement as well as the required and/or preferred qualifications/competencies and pre-screening questions. Failure to include adequate information or follow instructions may affect your status and prevent you from being considered in subsequent measures used to arrive at a top group of applicants. An explanation of your Appeal Rights can be found at https://www.uccs.edu/hr/employment-services/recruitment-search-and-hire/classified-staff.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or [email protected] Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact. • Applications submitted by October 22, 2018 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at https://www.cu.edu/cu-careers. 1. A current resume. Must include date ranges, whether full time or part time, and hours worked per week. 2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
Job Category: Professional Support Services
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40121 - AVCAF-PoliceOperations
Posting Date: Oct 8, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Philip Brotherton
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00611367