Financial Reporting Accountant
The Office of University Controller (OUC) manages the university's system of record - the Financial System - and its interfaces with purchasing, accounts payable, travel expense, human capital management, financial reporting and other subsystems. The office works closely with the campus controllers, the state controller and the state auditor's office to ensure that fiscal practices comply with external/internal rules and regulations and generally accepted accounting principles; prepares the university's tax filings; manages payroll/benefit accounting functions; and oversees the certification of effort reporting on sponsored research. The office communicates fiscal policies and procedures to the university community through blogs, website and training programs, and provides one-on-one assistance through the Finance and Procurement Help Desk. The OUC also administers a continuing professional education program and the CU Innovation and Efficiency Awards employee recognition program.
The position of Financial Reporting Accountant is part of the Accounting Services team within the Office of University Controller (OUC) and reports to the Director of Accounting Services. This position supports the University's mission by providing timely, accurate and relevant financial information to the University's fiscal employees and external entities, as well as assisting with necessary accounting functions. This position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified System.
To thrive in this position, the individual must be an accomplished accounting professional and a creative and self-motivating problem-solver, interested in analyzing problems and pursuing solutions. He or she must be both a strong team-player and a successful independent worker, with excellent verbal/written and interpersonal communication skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare monthly financial statements and underlying data tables
- Prepare quarterly variance analysis report for Regent Audit Committee (RAC) meeting
- Consolidate and format the annual Supplemental Financial Statements (fund level financials by campus)
- Prepare annual financial ratio analysis for campuses and consolidated University for RAC meeting
- Maintain chart of account tree and tables in PeopleSoft (PS), approving and creating new accounts when needed
- Calculate Inter Campus Cost Allocation (ICCA) rates annually
- Respond to questions/requests from campus accountants and other departments, often involves running queries and analyzing data
- Compile financials and footnotes for the Annual Financial Report (https://content.cu.edu/controller/annualreport/2017)
- Calculate monthly public support and provide to CU Foundation
- Complete Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Complete the Higher Learning Commission Annual Institutional Data Report
- Create year-end planning calendar, incorporating dates from key departments
- Provide testing populations and other requested items to external auditors
- Provide backup documentation for samples selected by auditors, analyze potential audit adjustments
- Prepare State Exhibits (footnotes), communicating with responsible campus personnel to obtain necessary information
- Calculate and create annual journal entries for year-end close purposes
- Analyze year-end receivable balances
- Reconcile four System bank accounts monthly, and resolve differences in a timely manner
- Review ten campus bank reconciliations monthly, ensuring accuracy of bank and book balances and timely clearing of reconciling items
- Track and distribute revenues received from the State to correct campus and G/L account
- Process payments to the State for legal, audit, and IT billings
- Process data feed to the Colorado Resource Engine (CORE) after PeopleSoft (PS) closes, checking for feed errors and rejected batches
- Run and distribute to campuses PS and CORE extracts after PS and State closes, correcting any issues noted for System
- Run CORE diagnostic reports, and correct any issues noted for System
- Create reconciliation between CORE and PS on a quarterly basis for all campuses; correct issues and explain variances for System
- Complete annual AP/AR Confirmations for all state agencies and create necessary adjusting entry in CORE
Other Duties as Assigned:
- Prepare and maintain policies and procedures documentation related to the above
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, procedures, regulations, and best practices.
- Skilled in reviewing data and performing analysis on data accuracy.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Advanced organization and teamwork skills.
- Ability to meet critical deadlines
- Ability to work independently and under pressure, to manage multiple concurrent tasks and responsibilities, and to deal with changing priorities, while maintaining personal effectiveness.
- Ability to utilize and extract data from multiple databases.
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office Suite applications, specifically Excel.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited college or university.
- Five (5) years of technical accounting experience or three (3) years of auditing at a public accounting firm
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or working towards certification
- Knowledge of statements issued by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Professional experience with Microsoft Access
- Professional experience with PeopleSoft enterprise software
- Professional experience with the State of Colorado's general ledger system, commonly referred to as CORE
- Professional experience in the State of Colorado higher education system
What we offer: Salary: The salary has been established at $65,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by October 22, 2018. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50027 - University Controller
Posting Date: Oct 8, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kris Truesdale
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00701996