Pipefitter/Refrigeratio Mechanic (99410)
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Employees in this class perform skilled work recognized in the pipefitter trade. They work under the direction of a designated supervisor.
A Pipefitter/Refrigeration Mechanic typically:
- performs duties specific to and normally required in the pipefitter trade, following recognized procedures and techniques for such work
- performs work needed to fabricate, assemble, install, or repair pipe systems, pipe supports, temperature control devices and related hydraulic and pneumatic equipment for steam, hot water, heating, cooling, lubricating, sprinkling, and industrial production and processing systems
- performs associated work by utilizing oxyacetylene or electric welding processes
- diagnoses, repairs, and/or overhauls refrigeration equipment (such as compressors, evaporators, condensers, pumps, cooling towers, and heat exchangers), refrigeration systems, and/or temperature control systems (such as thermostats, relays, damper motors, pneumatic operated valves, small air compressors, fiber optics, and/or direct digital control systems)
- assists in preparation of material orders for purchase of equipment or repair parts
- assists in the preparation of estimates for projected overhaul, repair, or replacement of equipment or repair parts
- maintains records and prepares reports on repairs completed or on units requiring future special service
- assists engineers in planning modifications and/or new installation projects
- makes assemblies or sub-assemblies thereof for installation by others
- completes installations assembled by others
- cuts and assembles such work from sketches, diagrams, detailed drawings or specifications
- complies with accepted safety standards
- may assign and direct the work of apprentices
- performs other related duties as assigned
1. (A) Certificate of completion of a Pipetrade apprenticeship under a registered Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training program.
(B) Experience sufficient to qualify as a journeyman Pipefitter, or other Pipetrade classification, with a minimum of five (5) years (60 months) of actual work in the trade, which may have included apprenticeship and/or applicable vocational training. The trade for this purpose shall include work normally performed by Pipefitters, Pipefitter Welders, Refrigeration Mechanics, Temperature Control Mechanics, Sprinkler Fitters, and/or Oil Burner Mechanics.
For more information about this classification:
Pipefitter/Refrigeration Mechanic positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $41.54 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Pipefitter/Refrigeration Mechanic. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from SHR-TESTING@mx.uillinois.edu and firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or email@example.com.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Category: 4-Crafts and Trades
Title: Pipefitter/Refrigeratio Mechanic (99410)
Open Date: 07/09/2018
Close Date: 07/16/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations