Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Employees at this level perform skilled work involving the repair, maintenance, and installation of roof systems. They work under direct supervision from a designated supervisor.
A Roofer typically:
- repairs existing roof systems resulting from roof inspections or emergency service requests
- installs new roof systems (such as bituminous, thermoplastic, non-vulcanized elastomers, vulcanized elastomers, slate, tile, asbestos and non-asbestos shingles, and other unconventional roofing materials)
- installs waterproofing materials on roofs, foundations, footings, and tunnels
- removes hazards (such as snow blockages, ice dams, and icicles) from roofs, gutters, and adjacent structures
- installs and erects proper scaffolding and climbing aids
- erects hoisting equipment and operates hoist to raise and lower equipment and material
- selects and transports equipment and materials to job site
- sets up barricades, warning line systems, and trash chutes to protect public from falling or flying materials
- removes equipment, materials, and debris from the job site upon project completion
- repairs and applies roofing primers and coatings
- is responsible for the proper use and care of roofing equipment, tools, and material
- complies with accepted safety standards
- performs related duties as assigned
1. experience sufficient to qualify as a roofer, with a minimum of four years of actual work experience at the trade, including apprentice or vocational training
2. valid State of Illinois driver's license
For more information about this classification:
Roofer positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $31.05 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Roofer. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from [email protected] and [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resouces
Category: 4-Crafts and Trades
Title: Roofer (99418)
Open Date: 07/09/2018
Close Date: 07/16/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations