Mill Worker (99401)
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Employees at this level make, assemble, and/or repair products made of wood or related materials. They work under direct supervision from a designated supervisor.
A Mill Worker typically:
- performs hand or machine work needed to lay out, cut, shape, and assemble products made from wood (such as sash, doors, frames, trim, moldings, cabinets, fixtures, and equipment) from rough sketches, detailed drawings, or as directed
- sets up and operates woodworking machines (such as bandsaw, jointer, mortiser, tenoner, table saw, shaper, stock feeders, etc.) to cut and shape parts from stock or to finish and assemble parts already prepared
- trims component parts of joints with hand tools to make them fit together accurately and snugly
- bores holes by hand or machine
- glues and fits together assemblies or sub-assemblies using dowels, screws, clamps, or other devices to form completed unit
- finishes surfaces and joints of articles with sandpaper and scrapers
- installs hardware
- repairs and rebuilds furniture as needed
- builds counters and cabinetry using plastic laminate and related materials
- performs other related duties as assigned
Four years of experience in a woodworking mill or cabinet shop using hand and power woodworking machinery and tools and in the layout, milling, and assembly of products made from wood and related materials.
For more information about this classification:
Mill Worker positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $36.04 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Mill Worker. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from [email protected] and [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Category: 4-Crafts and Trades
Title: Mill Worker (99401)
Open Date: 07/09/2018
Close Date: 07/16/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations