Elevator Mechanic (99383)
Department - To Be Determined
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Employees at this level perform skilled work involving the inspection, maintenance, testing, repair, and servicing of elevator related equipment. They work under direct supervision from a designated supervisor.
An Elevator Mechanic typically:
- assembles, installs, repairs, and maintains elevators, escalators, moving sidewalks, and dumbwaiters, using hand and power tools, and testing devices such as test lamps, ammeters, and voltmeters, cleans parts using approved industry compounds, paints, lubricates parts as necessary
- tests newly installed equipment to ensure that it meets specifications
- locates malfunctions in elevator equipment and systems such as brakes, motors, switches, and signal and control systems, using test equipment
- connects electrical wiring to control panels and electric motors
- adjusts safety controls, counterweights, door mechanisms, and components such as valves, seals, and brake linings, etc.
- reads and interprets blueprints and schematics to determine the layout of system components, frameworks, and foundations, and to select installation equipment
- inspects wiring connections, control panel hookups, door installations, and alignments and clearances of cars and hoistways to ensure that equipment will operate properly
- disassembles defective units, and repairs or replaces parts such as locks, gears, cables, and electric wiring
- maintains log books that detail all repairs and checks performed
- performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Experience sufficient to qualify as a journeyman elevator mechanic, with a minimum of five (5) years of training and experience in the trade which may have included apprenticeship and/or applicable vocational training. The trade for this purpose shall include work normally performed by Elevator Mechanic, Elevator Service Mechanic, Elevator Adjuster, Elevator Service Technician, Elevator Constructor, Elevator Repair and Maintenance Technician, Elevator Technician, Elevator Serviceman, Elevator Troubleshooter, Escalator Service Mechanic.
2. Must possess a current Elevator Mechanic's license from the Office of State Fire Marshall in accordance with the Elevator Safety and Regulation Act [225 ILCS 312 et.seq.]
For more information about this classification:
Elevator Mechanic positions are benefits-eligible civil service positions. Most positions are full-time (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $46.66 per hour.
There may not be current vacancies in this classification.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Elevator Mechanic. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from [email protected] and [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Staff Human Resources
Category: 4-Crafts and Trades
Title: Elevator Mechanic (99383)
Open Date: 07/09/2018
Close Date: 07/16/2018
Organization Name: Staff Human Resources Operations