Project and Communication Coordinator
Job ID: 24780
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1035
Department: Office of Research
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator II
Salary Range: $3,115/month - $5,475/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Associate Dean of Research, the Project and Communication Coordinator provides support to the Associate Vice President (AVP) of the Office of Research and the Associate Dean of Research (AD). The Coordinator assists in judgment, discretion, and initiative in administering the departments projects and events, and assists with the communication strategy. The Coordinator assists in the progress of special projects and assignments, researches, and prepares responses for University officers and constituents, and ensures the accuracy and timely submittal of those projects. The Coordinator assists in conducting research, analyzing data, and handling information requests.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Keeps abreast of new policies and procedures within those offices and responds to requests for assistance.
- Assist in initiating and composing correspondence; develops presentations; prepares meeting summaries, departmental reports, and fliers; disseminates information and action items.
- Supports the office by ordering supplies and maintaining work environment, answering visitor walk in questions, and managing phone communications.
- Maintains office files, records, and various electronic databases.
- Processes all key and omni code requests.
- Manages and maintains office website, especially as it relates to linkages with SJSU Research Foundation, Tower Foundation, the Provosts Office, and Center for Faculty Development.
- Assist in collaborating with a broad campus network of offices and departments to plan their involvement in Office of Research programs/initiatives.
- Assists in handling support for Organized Research and Training Unit (ORTU) for the AD, as faculty are assisted in the creation of ORTU proposals for internal campus approval process and for the AVP for annual and five year reporting to the campus and CSU Chancellors office.
- Works with departments to coordinate booking event space, arranging food and beverage, ordering supplies, coordinating audiovisual equipment, ordering event signs, ensuring appropriate dcor, etc.
Education and Experience
Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents and three years of related office work experience.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Event and project organization experience.
- Experience setting up campus events.
- Experience using spreadsheets as an organizational tool
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Skilled in Microsoft Office suite software programs (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Visio, Project, Google Apps).
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues.
- Knowledge of and the ability to apply standard theories, principles, practices, and techniques applicable to the program and/or administrative specialty to develop conclusions and make recommendations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to work with both internal and external constituencies in preparing correspondence, emails, and presentations.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Knowledge of, and skills in, standard office procedures and practices, English grammar, business writing, punctuation and spelling.
- Ability to act as a liaison for staff and management team to identify, develop and nurture staff/management relationships.
- Knowledge and understanding of current project methodologies, practices, standards and processes and tools.
- Collaboration, consultative, and teambuilding skills to work effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Knowledge of applicable University policies and procedures; ability to appropriately interpret and apply policies and procedures independently, and use judgment and discretion to act when precedents do not exist.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and balance a heavy workload with a high level of productivity, proficiency, and precision.
- Ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound judgment.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
October 8, 2018
Application Screening begins October 24, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046