Marketing Strategy and Fan Engagement Director
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation, an NCAA Division I member of the Atlantic 10 Conference, actively engages our students, our campus community, our alumni and our fans through the spirit of healthy living and competition. Located in the heart of our nation's capital, this world-class university aspires to have a world-class athletics and recreation program. We are committed to building and sustaining a program that mirrors the overall excellence of the university, by providing students an unparalleled opportunity for achievement and engaging the larger community as we grow and cultivate the next generation of leaders.
Reporting to the Associate Athletics Director of Marketing, Sale, and Fan Engagement, the Marketing Strategy and Fan Engagement Director is responsible for the development and implementation of a collaborative marketing and sales effort for five revenue generating sports (men's and women's basketball, gymnastics, baseball and volleyball). This individual will focus on increasing attendance, maximizing ticket revenue, improving and innovating the game day experience and enhancing the GW Athletics brand.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Develops and implements marketing strategies that focus on creating a sense of school spirit around GW Athletic events with the goal of improving fan affinity, increasing game attendance and generating revenue.
- Serves as the primary marketing representative for men's basketball and oversees the development and implementation of marketing and sales strategies for women's basketball and gymnastics.
- Determines appropriate budget expenditures and allocations relative to the implementation of marketing plans as well as the fulfillment of sponsorship contracts.
- Develops innovative game day environments through game presentations efforts (scripting, promotions, video integration, music, entertainment, band and spirit program performances) to create a competitive home team advantage and enhance both the student and fan experience.
- Develops and implements a digital marketing strategy to increase brand awareness and drive attendance.
- Oversees the production and distribution of promotion materials including posters, magnets and pocket schedules, social media and web graphics and promotional video content to maintain the integrity of the GW Athletics brand.
- Partners with our media rights provider to develop sponsorship activations that complement that game day experience and enhance crowd involvement.
- Oversees athletics events and outreach initiatives for such as Colonial Madness, Opening Weekend, Homecoming and other opportunities that provide fan engagement and interaction.
- Partners with the Athletics Ticket Office to advertise and promote ticket specials and game promotions with the goal of increasing attendance and generating revenue.
The position is based at GW's Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 3 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Strong working knowledge of the development and implementation of marketing plans and engagement strategies
- Experience serving as a Project Manager for photo and video shoots, graphic design projects, and creative direction for video features
- Experience planning and implementing a variety of events, including those that require live production
- Experience working with campus partners (students, faculty and staff) to build support and affinity for GW Athletics
- Experience working with athletics spirit groups (spirit teams, mascots, fan groups and pep bands) to enhance the game day experience
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Athletics and Recreation Family Comm, Mktg & Media Sub-Family Marketing and Brand Management Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40+ Work Schedule: Monday – Friday; 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM as well as nights and weekends as necessary Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa status.
- In order to gain a better understanding of your experience, the professional experience section of your resume must include months in addition to years. For example, instead of “2014 – 2015,” it should include “April 2014 – January 2015” or similar information.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter