VETERINARY TECHNICIAN II
VETERINARY TECHNICIAN II
Lab Animal Resources
Train, coordinate and participate in a variety of routine and complex technical procedures and activities related to the care of various animals.
- Manage, coordinate and perform technical animal procedures for researcher; interact with researcher in scheduling and performing duties; maintain records and write reports in accordance with general laboratory procedures.
- Serve as liaison to the Veterinarian in providing health care to the animals; administer daily treatments and medications for animals as instructed or required; assist in or provide routine and emergency medical treatment.
- Assist in the organization and scheduling of events to facilitate the performance of procedures related to research projects; coordinate and participate in the performance of routine and standardized tests to include weighing animals, obtaining specimens, and observing behavioral patterns.
- Administer post operative treatment to research animals; assist in diagnostic laboratory, performing routine hematologic and parasitologic test.
- Ensure complete and accurate maintenance of all animal records.
- Anesthetize animals as required and serve as circulating nurse during procedures requiring anesthetized animals; assist in animal surgery as requested; administer routine, post-operative and daily treatments to animals as instructed, prescribed, and/or required; assist in diagnostic treatments such as performing routine hematologic and parasitological test and collecting blood and other diagnostic specimens.
- Perform technical skills such as venipuncture,surgical assistance, animal restraint (especially NHP), radiology and injections; further NHP duties will include participating in developing and maintaining an appropriate and varied enrichment plan for NHPs and documenting such efforts; perform antibody production in a variety of species, which requires knowledge of antigen boosting and blood collection techniques; report or take action to correct changes in environmental conditions which effect the well-being of the animals; formulate and administer special diets to ensure adequate vitamins and trace mineral elements; determine animal food needs and place regular food orders with vendors, ensuring optimum cost and variety in diet; feed and water animals according to schedule; ensure complete and accurate maintenance of all animal records; assist in processing health inspections and related requirements for interstate and international shipment of animals; transport animals, supplies and materials; operate motor vehicles as required.
- Perform on-call requirements as assigned which include weekend and holiday rotations. Position is "Essential" as defined by Duke University Severe Weather Policy.
- Clinical observations & evaluations of animal health status
- Assist in surgery
- Anesthetize and intubate dogs/cats
- Administer daily treatments and medications
- Basic animal restraint techniques (excluding primates)
- Basic diagnostic lab techniques
- Basic radiograph techniques
- Participate in enrichment plan
- Anesthetizeand intubate swine
- Basic NHP's restraint techniques
- Large animal technical skills
- Rodent, guineapig, rabbit, etc health evaluation and treatments
- Ability to follow and enhance enrichment plan for NHP and other species DLAR
- Large animal handling skills
- Rodent, guinea pig, rabbit, etc handling
- Placing catheters
- Prepare surgical packs
- Intensive care and emergency care
- Antibody production process
- Able to train PI staff in lab animal technical skills
889 VETERINARY TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires Associate's Degree in Veterinary Technology with RVT.Obtain LAT within 24 months of hire, ALAT desirable.
Work requires two years of experience in a laboratory, animalcare facility or related setting (at least one of which was in a labanimal facility, desirable).OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.