Posting Date October 8, 2018
Position Title Program Associate
Vacancy # V-1563
Department College of Science and Mathematics
Division Academic Affairs
Under the supervision of the Associate Dean of the College of Science and Mathematics (CSAM) the Program Associate will provide administrative and financial management support for the Department of Physics and Astronomy and financial management support for select CSAM units as needed.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Administrative and financial management support for the Department of Physics and Astronomy includes:
• Communicate with department members, clients, visitors and callers, and handle general requests for information
• Assist with scheduling department meetings, activities, and events, coordinate travel forms and reimbursements, handle textbook orders, prepare and distribute agenda and meeting materials, and take minutes during meetings.
• Assist department chair with procurement and financial transactions including preparation of requisitions, tracking and payment of purchase orders, p-card purchases, processing invoices, vouchers, and reimbursements.
• Assist department chair with hiring and on-boarding new student assistants, post-doctoral researchers, and part time employees via the Human Resources software systems.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the department chair.
Financial management support for select CSAM units includes:
• Assist new CSAM faculty with financial transactions supported by startup accounts.
• Assist with financial transactions supported by external funding.
• Support the grants and contracts accounting services of the Dean's Office.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Associate Dean of CSAM.
Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor's degree
• Proficiency in common office software including word processing programs, spreadsheets, presentation software, email, web browsers, and electronic calendars
• Superior interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with students, administrators, faculty, staff, and university guests in a diverse setting
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong quantitative skills
• Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize multiple tasks, and work independently in a professional setting
• Experience working in academic institutions or a research setting
• Experience with software systems used in financial management, grants management, and human resources, such as People Soft, Workday, Banner, or comparable
• Experience with Montclair State University procurement and financial management practices
Commensurate with experience
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Please create a profile and submit your resume, cover letter in one pdf. file to the following link;
Apply By Review begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION