Maintenance Mechanic Helper
Department: Plant Operations
Location: Westshore Campus
Reports To: Manager, Facilities
Recruitment Type: External/Internal
Requisition ID: req534
Employment Type: Part-Time Support Staff
Vacancy Number: PT132-19
Union Position: Union
Work Schedule: Monday-Thursday 3pm-7pm Saturday-8am-12pm
Number of Openings: 1
Performs duties and otherwise assists in the care and maintenance of buildings at assigned locations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- *Performs miscellaneous maintenance and minor repair duties on buildings and equipment.
- *Works under the direction of Maintenance Mechanic(s) on large projects as required.
- *Repairs dry wall and masonite surfaces, broken windows, leaking valves, electrical sockets and switches, sink traps, leaking faucets, steam leaks, toilets.
- Installs bathroom fixtures.
- Replaces floor tiles, incandescent and fluorescent lamps.
- Paints walls, woodwork, furniture and equipment.
- Performs custodial work.
- Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to the essential functions of the position.
- Demonstrates regular attendance.
- Accesses and utilizes College-prescribed software programs, including but not limited to training, email, payroll and maintenance management system.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
* denotes Essential Function
- High School diploma or GED.
- Two (2) years of work experience in a building maintenance environment as a commercial/industrial Maintenance Mechanic – OR – a completed vocational or apprenticeship program.
- Ability to perform elementary work in the areas of plumbing, carpentry, painting and welding.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to properly use related equipment.
- Ability to read and follow detailed work and safety instructions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Skills in keyboarding, basic math and grammar, and basic or standard word processing (MS Word) and/or spreadsheet applications (MS Excel).
- Proficiency with an email software package (MS Outlook) and the Internet.
- Valid Ohio Driver's license.
- Must be able to meet College insurability requirements.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population.
- Associate's degree in a job-related field.
- Experience with electronic work order system.
- Understanding/experience with quality programs and initiatives.
- Trade licensure or certification.
- LTO (Lift-Truck-Operator) license.
- Ability to perform work in welding.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Must be able to occasionally sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, taste and smell. Must be able to regularly stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to frequently use hands to finger, handle or feel. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds without assistance. No special vision required. Must be able to occasionally work in wet or humid conditions, work in high precarious places, work with fumes or airborne particles, toxics or caustic chemicals, work in outdoor weather conditions, work in extreme cold (non-weather) and work with risk of electrical shock, radiation, vibration and bio-hazards. Must be able to regularly work near moving mechanical parts. Must be able to work in an environment with a moderate noise level.
Disclaimer: This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned and does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Special Note:This is a Part-time AFSCME Bargaining Unit position, Grade 04 , 2nd shift. AFSCME Employees employed with Community College will be considered first for vacant positions.
Special Instructions to Applicants: During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments. Any employment with the College is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screen.
Affirmative Action Statement: Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution.