Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We opened our doors in 2005 and currently offer four undergraduate academic majors and an MBA program. We follow a strict non-discriminatory policy and applicants from all ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are a young and growing dynamic university with a student population of nearly 1,100 and we hope to reach 1,250 students by the fall 2018 academic semester. We have expanded operations to the 75-acre international campus across the street from our original campus. Construction is ongoing for additional classroom and lab buildings to help meet the growing needs of our student population.
The AUAF Administration is seeking a qualified candidate for a Full-time position of Financial Controller based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
The role assists the Chief Financial Officer in matters related to AUAF fiscal operations and overall financial management. The Controller maintains AUAF’s financial systems as per the established standards, policies and procedures and staff training, and management of finance staff.
Customer service excellence, ERP system optimization, and accurate grant management are key deliverables.
The Controller has decision-making authority subject to the direction of the CFO, and must exercise independent judgment to optimize the functionality and effectiveness to the AUAF. The individual works closely with and provides financial direction and guidance to the Finance Staff of AUAF.
Responsibilities entail direction of all aspects of the department’s finance and operations including:
- Assists the CFO in development of policies and procedures to govern financial decision-making including budgets, expense management, and capital spending to ensure the achievement of expense management and revenue objectives.
- Supports the CFO through the analysis and interpretation of financial information and aids in the development of business operations plans; forecasts critical milestones and potential obstacles and evaluates alternate courses of action; and balances short- term and long-term strategic objectives to maximize the financial performance of the AUAF.
- Provides University Senior Management with monthly actual-to-budget expenditure reports and analysis of donor funds for appropriate decision making.
- Directs the preparation of, and approves all AUAF’s financial systems and donor reports as per the established standards, policies and procedures.
- Supports the CFO in the development of annual and long-term operational and strategic plans of AUAF.
- Closely monitors all financial activities including receivables and payments. Ensures all purchase requests, bid summaries, purchase orders and relevant invoices are accurate according to policies and procedures.
- Training and Staff Management
- Develop and implements a training program for the University’s International and national staff to ensure staff development and minimize University’s exposure when staff are absent or depart.
- Ensures comprehensive and constructive performance review are completed on a timely basis and facilitates discussion of performance and career options with all finance staff.
- Oversees training and technical support to University’s academic technical, procurement and administrative support staff for skills improvement in the areas of accounting, reporting and internal control.
- Supervises all University bank relations and bank account activities including negotiation of bank fees, interest and currency exchange rates.
- Oversees the timely preparation, review and approval of all monthly bank accounts and cash reconciliation’s.
- Designs, implements, and monitors systems, procedures and reporting necessary to maintain on current basis accurate forecasts of cash requirements for meeting future spending, including commitments entered into and which obligate University to future spending.
- Establishes policies on advance payments, credit terms, and use of bank payments instruments.
- The Controller will partner with the administrators for issues related to third-party reimbursement, understanding changes in major legislation, and the impact of these changes on tuition income.
- Supervises the Student Financial Services.
- Assists with the preparation and bi-annual revision of University Annual Budget for the AUAF Board of Trustees, USAID and the University leadership.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of the University’s Department Operating Budget; including preparation of budget guidelines to assist Head of Department in formulating budgets.
- Participates in budget negotiations with concerned faculty and administrative departments of AUAF.
- Presents and facilitates the review of actual to budget expenditures throughout the year to achieve business objectives with Head of Departments.
- Risk and Compliance Management
- Ensures donor and IFRS/GAAP compliance in all financial systems and reporting.
- Recommends necessary actions to ensure that AUAF meets all legislative requirements of Afghanistan on accounting, taxation and overall fiscal operations and management.
- Keeps track of new legislative acts and/or amendments to existing laws of Afghanistan that relate to accounting, taxation and overall fiscal operations and management.
- Ensures appropriate institution-wide financial control and fiduciary stewardship, determines areas vulnerable from an audit perspective, and develops plans/recommendations to strengthen those areas in conjunction with Internal Audit.
- Conducts self in a professional and ethical manner at all times and will not enter into any activities which may adversely affect the image of the AUAF.
- Grants Management
- Lead day-to-day aspects of donor reporting processes to ensure the timely submission of accurate programmatic reports, budget modification request and financial reports.
- Assist CFO in ensuring proper M&E of on-going projects including the development of indicator tracking sheets and donor and internal reporting.
- Lead management of Budget versus Actual (BvA) in line with University procedures. This including managing monthly BvA tracking, meetings and action points.
- Ensure quality information management through regular maintenance of grant files, reporting calendars, timely submission and updating.
- Assist in preparing, reviewing and modifying memoranda of understanding and grant agreements.
- Build grant management capacity of University staff by facilitating trainings and providing one-on-one follow up support in report writing, proposal development and other related topics.
- Support the realization of key grant-related milestones and activities within the Grant Action Plan.
Required Qualification and Experience
- Extensive international experience, preferably in a University.
- Extensive ERP experience Working knowledge with Great Plains: 365 or Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or other finance related field.
- Qualification of a CMA, ACCA, CPA, or MBA.
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience in a Senior Management Level Capacity.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience implementing USAID rules and regulations (Federal and AID Acquisition Regulations -FARs and AIDARs) as they relate to the Finance function at a Federal Funded University or International Development Organization.
- Extensive Grant management experience.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Excellent computer skills that include MS Office applications.
- Ability to manage and motivate staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to manage, work and live with people from different cultures in a stressful and challenging environment.
- Knowledge of Afghanistan legislative acts that relate to accounting, taxation and overall fiscal operations and management is advantageous.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and public relation skills.
- Flexibility to adapt and work successfully in a start-up environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and within limited time frames.
- Ability to prioritize efficiently.
Applicants must submit their resume and cover letter in one document as PDF or MS Word to [email protected] Applications are accepted in English only. Please include “Financial Controller” in the subject line of the email.
Application Deadline: All applications must be submitted on or before November 7, 2018. After reviews of the applicants, interviews for the finalists will be set up.