The University of Miami Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) is a member institute for people age 50 or better who are interested in intellectual stimulation, social connections, and volunteering both within the institute and outside its borders. It now serves more than 1,200 people a year through its courses and activities scheduled in three terms (fall, spring, and summer). The institute offers a wide variety of classes ranging from history and science to music and art appreciation, but without the homework and tests that are normally part of the process. Instead, OLLI students attend class for the simple joy of the learning experience. The program is also highly member driven, with members deciding on curricular offerings and even teaching some of the classes themselves. OLLI is a membership organization and the Director has an elected Advisory Council. The Director of OLLI works closely with the Advisory Council and its various committees. One of the most important responsibilities of the Director revolves around interpreting OLLI to a wide variety of constituencies. Financial support for the program derives from membership fees, course fees and income from the Osher endowment. The program is financially self-supporting. The Director of the program functions as a program director within the Division of Continuing and International Education and reports directly to the Dean.
Overall Program Development
• Plans, develops, implements, and coordinates a variety of programs for older adults.
• Sets the tone and facilitates the development of a true community of learners.
• Works closely with members, including the –Advisory Council to carry out portions of the work.
• Recognizes and develops talent among the members, including the development of volunteer leadership.
• Manages the strategic planning process and subsequent implementation in coordination with DCIE’s strategic planning committee.
• Enhances relationships with community centers (i.e. The Palace, Key Biscayne Community Center, etc.) in providing them with their curriculum needs throughout the year.
• Develops further similar relationships throughout the community within the OSHER regional guidelines.
• Ensure that the entire OLLI program is varied, balanced, and responsive to the desires of the membership.
• Works closely with the Chair and members of the –Curriculum Committee to develop courses suitable for an educational program of the University of Miami.
• Works with the Curriculum Committee and others to produce annual catalogs.
• Oversees scheduling and program coordination.
• Manages faculty and vendor payments.
• Serves as an ex-officio member of all standing committees:
-Membership and Recruitment
• Directs the meetings of the –Advisory Council.
• Interpret and promote the policies of the University and DCIE to the Board and committees.
Community and University Relations
• Represents OLLI in the community and in the University.
• Serves on both community and University committees, including delivering presentations and speeches.
• Serves as a liaison to other units of the University, such as (name units closely aligned with OLLI).
• Meet with newcomers and prospective members and help to develop, with the Membership Committee, avenues for attracting new members to OLLI.
• Partner with community organizations and agencies to co-sponsor classes and activities.
• Facilitate potential alliances between OLLI members and community organizations and needs. This may include:
-Development of specific OLLI projects in the community; serving as a liaison between organizations and OLLI.
-Organization of a training function for volunteers.
-Attracting diverse and underserved populations.
-Overseeing expanded use of the OLLI website and other technologies for the purpose of communications and public relations.
-Provide service to the national community of lifelong learning.
• Ensures that all University Policies and Procedures are adhered to while Managing and being responsible for the day to day administrative activities, including:
-Serves as a central resource for both members and instructors on activities at OLLI and facilitate members’ integration into the program.
-Oversees all financial operations – inclusive of, but not limited to, developing annual budget in conjunction with the DCIE Finance Team.
-Monitoring adherence to the budget for revenue and expenses.
-Monitors the endowment distribution accounts, etc.
-Prepares term and annual enrollment and financial reports.
-Prepares financial variance reports as required, at minimum on a quarterly basis in conjunction with the DCIE Finance Team.
-Develops promotional materials, course catalogs and newsletters.
-Manage Program Coordinator and Office Assistant along with student workers.
-Develop performance goals, monitor performance expectations, assess and evaluate throughout the year; provide development goals and opportunities for growth.
-Monitor the technology needs of the program, arranging for the procurement or upgrade of current technologies with IT staff and arranging for training as needed.
-Continually assess the space needs of OLLI as they relate to teaching, socialization, administration, and parking.
-Fosters an office environment of collegiality and administrative excellence.
• Responsible for developing new funding sources.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
• Seven years of relevant experience; ideal candidate will have experience in volunteer management, higher education and /or nonprofit management.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Effective presentation skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Strong technology skills.
• Experience in financial management/budgeting/administration.
• Knowledge of business and management principles.
• Ability to direct, manage, implement, and evaluate department operations.
• Ability to establish department goals, and objectives that support the strategic plan.
• Ability to effectively plan, delegate and/or supervise the work of others.
• Ability to lead, motivate, develop, and train others.
Apply at www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P00004532
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information-https://www.hr.miami.edu/careers/employment-laws-eo/index.html
Come join us!]]>