Director of Advancement Data Management
Amherst College invites applications for the position of Director of Advancement Data Management. This is an exciting time for the College, with significant progress underway toward the goals of Promise: The Campaign for Amherst's Third Century, launched in early 2018.
Part of a collegial, service-focused, forward-thinking team, the Director of Advancement Data Management (DADM) is a full time, year round position, job group and level SM-4, reporting to the Director of Advancement Services.
Leading a team of data managers and specialists, the DADM oversees Advancement information and gift processing. The DADM will lead and manage projects to optimize data procedures, campus data integration and overall workflow. The DADM will develop, implement and communicate policies and procedures to maximize the use and value of data in support of Advancement's fundraising and constituent engagement mission. The position serves as a key liaison and resource for information users within Advancement and across campus.
The Director will take appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- Lead projects to optimize data management, data processing and workflow across Advancement and the College. Sample projects include evaluation of gift receipting, exploration of new gift payment options, and campus data integration as other offices adopt business-specific CRMs
- Develop and implement training on use of data resources
- Evaluate vendors, participate in selection process
- Work with data stakeholders across the department
- Serve as a key member of a database/CRM selection and conversion team
- Develop project plans for data conversion including timelines, data clean up needs, business process recommendations
- Collaborate with Advancement Reporting & Systems on implementation and rollout
Biographical Data Management
- Supervise the accurate and timely entry and maintenance of constituent records and biographical data by the records management team and provide guidance and quality control for data entered by employees outside of the Advancement Services team (in Advancement and across campus)
- Ensure that procedures and systems are in place to collect and safeguard biographical information related to alumni, parents and friends
- Coordinate with campus partners to facilitate and optimize data sharing and integration across campus
- Keep current regarding relevant legislation and industry guidelines as they pertain to Advancement work (FERPA, IRS, CASE, GDPR)
- Design reports as needed to assess data quality, productivity and to provide guidance and analysis to users and the programmers
Gift and Pledge Processing Management
- Provide management and direction to Gift & Pledge processing staff to ensure effective and timely processing of gifts and pledges, and the production and distribution of related receipts and reporting
- Document and communicate gift-related policies and procedures such as gift acceptance, gift crediting, receipts and acknowledgements, pledge processing, the fiscal and calendar year end gift processing, online giving, biographical data processing, contact entry and general reporting needs
- Oversee annual and daily gift receipting process
- Bachelor's degree
- 5+ years of experience, including management experience
- Strong interpersonal skills - ability to collaborate and work effectively with all levels of the college community
- Ability to work independently and/or work well with a team depending on the situation
- Ability to influence others and build teams across departments
- Ability to gain conformance without imposing authority
- Experience working with databases and building reports
- Comfortable learning and incorporating new technologies
- Ability to synthesize information and set/suggest policy
- Commitment to excellence and quality, appreciation of customer service
- Focus on continuous improvement
- Approaches challenges with a positive, problem-solving outlook
- Knowledge of Advancement Services, Gift Processing/Database Operations and IRS regulations including working knowledge of tax codes and the ability to interpret IRS rulings as they apply to charitable contributions and fundraising
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access), MS Outlook and able to learn new software quickly
- Commitment to or experience working with a diverse community
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Review of applications will continue until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!