Senior Financial Analyst
Reporting to the Associate Controller-Accounting Services, the Senior Financial Analyst is responsible for fixed asset accounting, external reporting to multiple agencies/stewardship reporting, oversight of the day to day management and controls of cash and ecommerce activity, and balance sheet and revenue/expense analyses in a multi-system, cloud-based environment. This position works as an integral member of a team including the Treasurer & Controller, Associate/Assistant Controllers, and Finance Office staff in the overall financial management of Bucknell University.
This is a full-time, 12 month, benefits eligible position.
• Responsible for operational accounting of fixed asset records, depreciation, including construction/acquisitions in progress. Prepare quarterly reporting of fixed asset acquisitions/disposition to senior budget officials in the Finance and Facilities offices.
• Support the Associate Controller-Accounting Services and Finance Office team by performing and assisting with:
o data analysis, reconciliation, and reporting of various asset and liability accounts including but not limited to deferred charges, accrued expenses and deferred revenue
o analyses of revenues and expenses in a hierarchical account and cost center environment.
o identification of trends in financial data, draw conclusions and observations, develop, present, and implement recommendations, and create follow-up analysis.
o Journal entry preparation / review as needed including the review of automated data feeds to the accounting system
• Direct supervision and development of Staff Accountant/Analyst position
• Provide a routine review of financial transactions in the Workday system detecting inaccuracies and determining with assistance from the Finance and Budget team the proper way to resolve any errors.
• Assist Finance Office team with the preparation of supporting schedules and reconciliations for industry surveys, financial ratio analyses, 990 tax reporting, and other reporting requirements of the University.
• Provide support to internal and external auditors by responding to data and documentation requests in accordance with auditor specifications.
• Assist the Associate Controller-Accounting Services and Finance Office in other financial operations areas as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or similar field and 5 years of related experience in accounting and financial reporting in a complex not-for profit organization or a minimum of three years of auditing and accounting experience with a large, nationally recognized, public accounting firm with a not-for-profit focus. Or an equivalent combination of education and related experience in accounting and financial reporting in a complex not-for-profit organization.
• Extensive experience using complex ERP systems.
• Demonstrated aptitude in using sophisticated data mining and report writing tools in cloud-based systems.
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with University constituents in both written and oral forms.
• Appreciation for and understanding of a Finance Office's role in a University setting including a focus on service and ability to work within a collaborative team environment.
• Familiarity with generally accepted accounting principles as applied in a higher education setting including an understanding of net asset classification accounting for fixed assets, gifts, pledges, and endowments.
The successful candidate will have significant prior experience working with and contributing to a diverse workforce.
• CPA certification or advanced degree
• Supervisory experience
• Experience in Workday
Founded in 1846 and located along the banks of the Susquehanna River in historic Lewisburg, Pa., Bucknell University is an undergraduate-focused institution that stands uniquely at the intersection of top-ranked liberal arts, engineering and management programs. Our students choose from more than 50 majors and 60 minors in the arts, engineering, humanities, management, and natural and social sciences, as well as extensive global study, service-learning and research opportunities. Bucknell's 3,600 undergraduate and 100 graduate students enjoy a low 9:1 student-faculty ratio and exceptional opportunities to collaborate with faculty mentors.Bucknell's beautiful 450-acre campus includes first-rate facilities and is home to more than 90 percent of its students. Residential life is vibrant with about 150 student-run organizations, 27 NCAA Division I athletic teams, a robust arts culture, and a strong student commitment to community and global service work.
Bucknell is committed to fostering an environment that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion, and we seek candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports the growth and development of a diverse campus community. The University provides equal opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, marital status, veteran status or disability in admissions, employment and in all of its educational programs and activities. We encourage individuals from historically underrepresented groups to apply.
Located in central Pennsylvania, Lewisburg features a variety of restaurants, beautiful Victorian homes, the restored art deco Campus Theatre (owned by the University), charming shops and boutiques, and the Barnes and Noble at Bucknell University Bookstore. About 33,000 residents live in the region.The city of Williamsport is about a 30-minute drive from campus, and Penn State University's main campus is about an hour away, as is Harrisburg, Pennsylvania's state capital. Bucknell is about three hours from New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
The cost of living here is low compared to that of major U.S. cities and suburbs. Bucknell's surroundings yield fresh produce, cultural activities and events, and many opportunities for outdoor activity on the Susquehanna River and in the nearby state parks and forests. The Lewisburg Area School District receives excellent reviews for its schools at all grade levels. Lewisburg Area High School is consistently ranked among the top 50 high schools in Pennsylvania for SAT scores and statewide exams.