8AM - 5PM
Commensurate with Experience
The Safety Engineer provides expertise in service to the campus community in the field of accident prevention, safety, industrial hygiene and industrial ergonomics and in support of the University of California Policy on Management of Health, Safety and the Environment, and the Campus Injury and illness Prevention Program. As the subject matter expert will work directly with leadership in the development, implementation, and monitoring of safety programs related to training for management, employees, students and affiliates. The Safety Engineer oversees and manages campus compliance with federal, state, and local environmental, health, and safety regulations. Responsible for mandatory compliance reporting. Has accountability to ensure a safe workplace by providing regulatory interpretation, technical advice and guidance to campus employees on safety habits. The Safety Engineer must also be available and willing to respond to emergencies, enter potentially hazardous environments, and participate as an active member of the EH&S Emergency Response Team.
Thorough written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, including political acumen and skill to communicate effectively in a diverse environment.
Thorough knowledge/understanding of specific EH&S field(s) including related laws and regulations; and general knowledge/understanding of all EH&S fields.
Strong skill to appropriately use technology and relevant scientific equipment as required.
Thorough knowledge and skill in applying and interpreting applicable local, state, and federal regulations and related standards and guidelines.
Strong analytical and organizational skills to organize, prioritize and manage the successful completion of projects within time and budget constraints.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview