RESEARCH SPECIALIST A
Duties: The Yi-Wei Chang lab in the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics has an opening for a Research Specialist A position for a motivated and detail-oriented team-player to participate in the cutting-edge electron cryotomography cellular imaging on important biological processes.
Primary duties will include but are not limited to:
1. General lab maintenance (e.g. ordering, biosafety, computer and network administration, sample storage and log maintenance, equipment management, etc.)
2. Sample preparation for electron cryotomography imaging (including bacterial and mammalian cell cultures, and cryo-electron microscope grids preparation and manipulation)
3. Electron cryotomography imaging and data analysis
4. Work with internal and external collaborators on various projects involving host-pathogen interactions.
5. Train new lab members (students).
The candidate must have strong organizational and communication skills, and must be reliable and self-motivated. Willingness to learn new techniques and ability to coordinate several projects concurrently is essential. Other expectations of this position include attending and presenting data during lab meetings, actively engage in project discussions, help with writing protocols and Standard Operating Procedures, and assisting other members of the lab as needed.
Qualifications: 1) Bachelor's degree in biology, biochemistry, microbiology, computer science or related field and 0-1 year experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
2) Strong computer programming/scripting skills and experience in research laboratories are highly desirable.
Reference Number: 40-30002
Salary Grade: 024
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: BB-Biochemistry and Biophysics
Job Family: I-Technical/Professional Research