Working Title: Laboratory Specialist
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: School of Medicine, SOM Core Facilities
Posting Date: 06-07-2018
The Stem Cell Core at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville seeks a Laboratory Specialist to join the newly established Core and support the overall technical and administrative activities of the core laboratory. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual, who can work well independently as well as part of team. The Stem Cell Core provides support for biomedical research, basic science and training for multiple Departments at UVA. The Stem Cell Core provides these researchers with high quality stem cells to study patient specific disease models. The Core also provides support to perform experiments that the researchers are unable to do in their own laboratories.This position will require the potential for limited weekend work on a rotation or as needed basis.
The individual, under the guidance of the director, will be involved in the derivation of iPSCs from various cell lines and tissues, iPSC maintenance, and differentiation to various cell types such as cardiomyocytes, neurons, insulin producing cells, and other cell lineages.
Minimum requirements include a Bachelor's degree in life sciences or related field and at least 2 years basic science research experience performing mammalian cell culture maintenance. Experience working in a basic science lab as undergraduate or Master's student will be considered in lieu of experience. Candidates must have research experience with multiple techniques including: In vitro mammalian cell culture (experience with pluripotent stem cells and stem cell differentiation techniques highly desired); molecular biology techniques such as RTPCR; visualization techniques such as microscopy including fluorescence microscopy; cell based analytical techniques such as Flow cytometry, and immunocytochemistry; and protein biochemistry, including ELISA. Previous research experience with iPSC derivation and pluripotent stem cell culture are preferred.
This is a restricted position contingent upon the continued availability of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1) Knowledge of performing routine laboratory procedures (including cell culture, sterile technique, pipetting, etc).
2) Ability to comfortably prepare solutions and reagents.
3) Ability to follow set policies and procedures and adhere to regulatory guidelines in daily work.
4) Ability to work accurately and independently with attention to detail.
5) Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
6) Ability to plan and execute tasks or experiments in a timely manner.
7) Ability to work effectively as a team member as well as independently to complete projects.
8) Strong organizational and time management skills are a must.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=84804