Evening Librarian, Instruction & Information Literacy Librarian
Category: Professional Staff
Department: Library & Learning Commons
Locations: Boston, MA
Posted: Oct 02, '18
Ref No.: UNP
About Bunker Hill Community College:
Bunker Hill Community College is the largest community college in Massachusetts, serving more than 14,000 students each semester across all modes of instruction. Ranked among the 25 fastest growing public two-year colleges in the United States, BHCC is a multi-campus institution with vibrant, urban campuses in Boston, MA, in nearby Chelsea, MA, and at three satellite locations within the Greater Boston area. BHCC is part of the Massachusetts public higher education system, which includes 15 community colleges.
BHCC offers 103 certificate and degree programs that prepare students to enter four-year institutions or to enter the workforce prepared for better and more highly skilled jobs. Sixty-seven percent of students are people of color and more than fifty percent are women.
Bunker Hill Community College BHCC is nationally recognized as a Leader College by Achieving the Dream and is one of four colleges awarded the National Gates Foundation Achieving the Dream Catalyst grant.
BHCC is a progressive institution guided by five goals: to Foster Student Success, Strengthen Career, Transfer and Workforce Readiness, Advance Diversity, Inclusion and Equity and Develop the College's Infrastructure. The College is committed to a learning community teaching/learning environment and, as an Achieving the Dream institution, is focused on data-driven student success.
Living in Boston:
Boston prides itself on being one of the most livable cities in America with twenty-one diverse neighborhoods offering exceptional medical facilities, vibrant neighborhood business districts, museums, galleries and an extensive network of parks and outdoor recreational areas. Unemployment consistently tracks lower than the national average and job growth in 2014 and 2015 were ahead of projections. Eighty-plus colleges and a quarter of a million college students in the area make Boston one of the country's "youngest major metropolis," according to Boston magazine. Suburbs outside of Boston offer affordable housing options with easy access to public transportation.
VALUES: Service, Collaboration, Integrity, Creativity, Openness, Diversity, Stewardship, Respect
Bunker Hill Community College seeks a self-motivated, service oriented, full-time Evening Librarian to work as part of the Library Services team serving students, faculty, staff and community users. This position will provide professional information literacy instruction in the library and online. Hours: 2:00PM to 10:00PM, Monday through Thursday; 9:00AM to 5:00 PM on Fridays. Also, will work an occasional Saturday as part of a rotation schedule. This position will collaborate with others to create and maintain library displays as relates to cultural wealth and social justice events. The successful candidate must enjoy working with our diverse library users and library staff.
Library instruction is an important subset of information literacy. Our Librarian of Instruction and Information Literacy reflects the ideas and thoughts of the librarianship literature including:
Librarian/Faculty Collaborations: Librarians work with faculty:
- Develop a research question or research assignment
- Choose library resources such as databases for the research assignment or project
- Collect and provide citation of scholarly articles
- Evaluate ethical issues of use of information sources (i.e. plagiarism)
Information Literacy Instruction:
The Library Instruction and Information Literacy Librarian works with others to help students become information literate. The librarians' role includes:
- Promote student knowledge creation.
- Integrate library instruction across the College curriculum.
- Enhance and promote customer service at all levels.
- Expand and develop resources and services for diverse student populations.
- Participate in open-educational resource initiatives in reducing educational costs.
- Provide physical and virtual (i.e. Moodle) spaces that inspire learning, collaboration, sustainability, etc.
- Create LibGuides, which are less in text, and more interactive features (search boxes, RSS, video, direct links etc.).
Provides students with instruction such as Face-to-Face Instruction, Online Learning Modules; and online video conferencing:
- Face-to-Face Instruction: In order to enhance student learning, librarians design face-to-face instruction sessions that are tailored to specific courses and research assignments. Faculty can contact their instruction librarian to schedule instruction in our computer-equipped instructional facilities, or they can request that librarians come to their classrooms. Teaching students (community college, adult learners) about information creation in the today's world for global learning
Librarian/Librarians: The Library Instruction and Information Literacy Librarian further collaborates with a team of librarians and staff who not only help students to learn how to navigate the Library's physical and virtual space but also collaborate with classroom/course faculty to foster students' information literacy competencies.
-Let the students know you as a librarian are there to help them further when and if they need it. Passion is the key!
- ALA accredited MLS or MLIS degree, with a strong interest in patron service. BHCC students are diverse and the librarian hired will be expected to work with all types of learners at the point of need.
- Experience with library technology including library management systems (e.g. iii, Evergreen, Moodle).
- Proven ability to work with a diverse faculty, staff and student population
- Ensure that every college library patron has access to information, materials and experiences necessary to engage in an increasingly diverse world.
Salary Range: $54,956.00-$60,000.00 Actual Salary Will Be Commensurate With Education and Experience in Accordance with MCCC/MTA Collective Bargaining Agreement. Full state Benefits.
Grade: 5, Unit-professional position
Review Date: To Ensure Consideration Application Materials Must Be Received By October 18, 2018.
To be considered for this position please upload the following documents to your account:
- Cover Letter
- A Copy of your Unofficial Transcripts
Please be sure to address the Required Qualifications in your documents.
If you need assistance applying through this website please contact our online Help Desk HERE