Business Strategy and Fiscal Planning Analyst
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Business Strategy and Fiscal Planning Analyst
Position #751023 - Requisition 14374
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Budget Office has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Business Strategy and Fiscal Planning Analyst position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
This position serves as the Business Strategy and Fiscal Planning Analyst for the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. The primary purpose of this position is to collaborate, collect, analyze, prepare, and present fiscal analysis and recommendations for new and existing academic/research programs, auxiliary operations, and capital acquisitions. High-level analysis and judgment with a special focus on the functions of an Academic Medical Center is necessary to support the institution's decision-making, planning, and communication of information.
- Responsible for conducting special studies, policy analysis, initiatives pricing and summary, cost projections, and other examinations as required or requested. Work cross-functionally with others in the university to build their understanding of strategic approaches in order to encourage implementation across the campus. Programs may include clinical business models, new company startup, and establishing new centers or programs. Ability to create sustainable financial business models which may include multiple revenue streams and broad scope of operations will be required.
- Query, compile, assess and analyze student, financial and other institutional data to work collaboratively with campus leadership to more efficiently and effectively allocate campus resources.
- Use data analytics to determine revenue growth strategies that can be deployed across the university. This position will analyze institutional data to identify return on investment and cost optimization within the budget process, allowing for the development and deployment of mutually reinforcing strategies at scale.
- Ensure that a productive and cooperative working relationship is developed and maintained with the Executive Vice Chancellor's office, Finance and Budget offices, the Bursar, Tuition Projection, Provost Office, Institutional Research, Human Resources, Institutional Planning, and the fiscal managers for all schools and colleges. This position must ensure that efforts are coordinated, that operations are efficient, and that the University complies with all University and state fiscal requirements.
- Develop and maintain communications and close working relationships with CU System Administration, State officials, and staff members from key state agencies or offices as assigned.
- Responsible to reduce risk and increase ethical standing of the University and use his/her many contacts with the University structure to identify and investigate areas of weakness.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Budget, Business Strategy and Quality Control.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position has been established at $70,000 to $110,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- A bachelor's degree in business, business administration, finance, public administration, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- At least ten years of experience in a college or university budget or financial setting or health care environment, with a minimum of five years of experience in a managerial capacity in a college or university budget or financial setting.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
The position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible experience at the management level, including direct responsibility for conducting special studies, policy analysis, initiatives pricing and summary, cost projections, and other examinations. This position requires experience with reducing risk and increasing ethical standing of higher education facilities and use contacts with the University structure to identify and investigate areas of weakness.
- A master's degree.
- Experience in higher education or state government.
- Experience in clinical settings and/or academic medical centers.
- Experience in Colorado higher education or state government.
- Ability to initiate communication and communicate work effectively with leaders across campus (including but not limited to Deans, fiscal managers, Registrar, Bursar, Vice Chancellor of University Communications, Budget Director, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs).
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Extensive knowledge and expertise of higher education budgeting, financing, and accounting.
- Must possess advanced analytical abilities and skills to address significant issues and impeccable judgment to resolve complex problems.
- Ability to prepare complex budget models and presentations for University Leadership, Schools and Colleges,
- Ability to plan, organize, and meet deadlines, work under pressure, and organize multiple projects or tasks.
- Comprehensive personal computing skills and ability to access complex relational databases. Ability to query financial and human resource systems at the University.
- Exceptional Excel skills, including at least 4 years of experience in creating financial models and analysis, with demonstrable fluency in lookup and conditional functions.
- Ability to effectively lead or manage a work group, staff members, and committees. Initiate and pursue strategic collaborations.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Sara Esau at [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by August 31, 2018. Those who do not apply by August 31st may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60038 - ADM-AVCBF Budget Office
Posting Date: Aug 2, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sara Esau
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00751023