Fashion Institute of Technology - Full-Time Faculty Position in Illustration
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Illustration Department, School of Art and Design
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The College continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instructional design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The School of Art and Design offers 17-degree programs and is home to fashion majors, a breadth of visual communication majors and fields as unique as toy design and visual presentation and exhibition design.
Art and Design faculty are industry professionals and foster meaningful curriculum that seeks to maximize the creative and technical potential in each student. Each major in the School of Art and Design is committed to stimulating analytical and independent thinking and faculty are committed to enriching student knowledge of global influences. Faculty members prepare students for entry and advancement in art and design careers and provide a collaborative environment that offers a rich and diverse array of interdisciplinary art and design-related projects and competitions.
The Illustration Department is a synthesis of art, technology and entrepreneurship that prepares aspiring artists for work in the illustration and graphic arts professions. The two-year AAS program provides a vigorous, structured artistic foundation, while the BFA focuses on commercial application disciplines and expression of personal vision. Additionally, the department is supported and enhanced by the broad-based offerings of liberal arts and related area classes. Faculty members are highly accomplished industry professionals who bring their expertise to the students they teach.
The Illustration Department seeks an innovative contemporary illustrator who is adept in traditional drawing, painting and knowledgeable in conceptual skills integrated with advanced digital abilities and applications.
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate an active career and noted accomplishments in one or more illustration industry genres, including editorial and advertising illustration, character design, institutional and book illustration, comic, storyboard and sequential art, infographics and the moving image.
- Demonstrate ability to teach required foundation proficiencies effectively, including anatomy and figure drawing, composition and perspective, painting and rendering, conceptual thinking and problem solving, digital rendering and application, portfolio preparation and presentation techniques. Additional skills in photography and design are desirable.
- Demonstrate outstanding professional and academic vision, judgment and leadership, and the ability to lead the development of ongoing departmental strategic goals, innovations, assessment, curriculum and infrastructure.
- Demonstrate ability to innovate, develop and effectively create newly required curriculum and departmental documentation, including reports, syllabi and grant requests as needed.
- Demonstrate commitment and involvement in the achievement of the strategic goals of the School and College.
The successful candidate will excel in the following areas:
- Demonstrate an understanding of how illustrators, as visual communicators, can educate and influence public perception and beliefs that influence global issues with national and international impact.
- Demonstrate an understanding of world and national history, as well as current events, as a means of context and perspective for effective decision-making in the role of visual communicator and illustrator.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the benefits and opportunities of networking with the New York City Creative District and incorporate distinguished guest speakers and class field trips to local museums, galleries and other educational resources as means of enhancing class material and student learning experiences.
- Demonstrate ability to develop student awareness in the classroom environment for cultural diversity, and the need to respect all racial, ethnic, religious and social groups, in support of diversity and equity, in the classroom as well as in professional circles.
- Demonstrate ability to implement the newly redesigned Illustration curriculum by teaching students to apply the creative power of new classroom technology while synchronously incorporating the integration of traditional illustration skills and techniques in conjunction with digital media in class assignments and projects.
- Demonstrate ability to design engrossing class assignments and other learning experiences to enhance information literacy and research skills, as well as challenge preconceptions, foster experimentation, cultivate critical thinking and advanced problem solving abilities and inspire students' creativity, innovation and imagination.
- Demonstrate ability to teach students how to integrate, synthesize, and utilize information and skills from various disciplines including photography, design, animation, film, writing, social sciences, world history, art history and resources such as the Web, in the process of the creation of exciting and effective visual communication images and illustrations.
- Demonstrate ability to be an effective verbal communicator and speaker who conducts enlightening and thought-provoking lectures, presentations, demonstrations and critiques, as well as applies current communication, research and promotional resources, strategies, and technologies, in particular, digitally.
- Demonstrate and generate an excitement and passion for teaching, illustrating and learning that inspires students to experiment, innovate and create.
- Demonstrate integration of knowledge of industry and entrepreneurship in classes, as well as personal career development strategies and experiences, to support and encourage students' creative and professional interest and progress.
- Demonstrate ability to formulate and create a clear and concise class syllabus to enable and empower students to maximize their potential academically and creatively.
- Demonstrate ability to incorporate innovative technology in instructional pedagogy.
- Demonstrate incorporation of industry developments, including technology updates and other illustration applications into the curriculum.
- Demonstrate ability to serve as a mentor, tutor and/or counselor to students requiring special/focused attention, support or guidance when addressing academic and/or personal issues.
- Demonstrate a continued involvement in professional and scholarly work and activities related to illustration in the competitive graphic arts business.
- Demonstrate an understanding and mastery of established and emerging industry practices and their relevance to the illustration markets.
- Demonstrate expertise in the application of entrepreneurial skills, a comprehensive understanding of copyright and other laws as they relate to intellectual property, as well as a current knowledge of billing practices, asset management, marketing and promotional protocols.
- Demonstrate ability to apply professional expertise in the continued advancement of the program, including curriculum, and program assessment and development, as well as program expansion into other areas of illustration applications and markets.
- Demonstrate a level of digital skills related to the application of hardware and software used professionally in illustration applications in the graphic arts business.
- Demonstrate ability to inspire students' imaginations and educate them in further developing the integration of traditional with digital illustration proficiencies consistent with current industry needs and standards.
- Demonstrate the dynamic application of digital technology to serve as a research tool on the Web for Illustration assignments, in developing concepts, and conveying visual communication illustrations.
- Demonstrate the effective use of technology and electronic information systems in the Illustration hybrid classroom environment.
Bachelor's degree required; Minimum of six (6) years professional experience in illustration and/or related applications required.
Master's degree in illustration or related graphic arts discipline is preferred. College-level teaching is also desirable. Strong preference will be given to candidates exhibiting one or both of the listed competencies.
The College reserves the right to select one or more candidates after having been duly reviewed and presented to the President in conformance with the provisions of Article 15 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement
This is a full-time, tenure-track position beginning in Fall 2019. Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received by November 1, 2018. Salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience. Please note that a background check is required for appointment to this position.
Online applications are required. Please note applications without all application materials will not be considered.
For consideration, please provide:
- A cover letter of interest (.pdf format) clearly indicating your qualifications and how they relate to the position.
- Professional Resume/Curriculum Vitae (.pdf format).
- A maximum of a 5-page sample of personal professional qualifying work.
- A minimum of three professional references, including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and email contact information.
- Additional application materials may be requested at a later date.
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at www.fitnyc.edu.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.