Senior Payroll Assistant
SENIOR PAYROLL SPECIALIST
Note: This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position.
Process payroll, coordinate/ process payroll taxes, including state and federal; assist in the preparation of year-end payroll analysis, assist with preparation of W-2’s, and any other quarterly or annual payroll tax returns; assist Payroll Manager with any College audits, and any other projects designated to the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process Payroll:
- Collect and record timesheets;
- Review accuracy of timesheets prior to entry into Banner System by calculating overtime, recording any leave taken and notifying the employee and/or supervisor of any discrepancies.
- Data Entry:
- Enter timesheets, direct deposit forms, changes to W-4’s and G-4’s, parking forms (additions and terminations), employee salary advances, and any changes to compensation per Payroll Action Forms (PAF).
- Payroll Processes:
- Run all payroll processes to produce direct deposits and checks;
- Run Microsoft Access reports in order to prepare check requests to pay employee payroll deductions;
- Prepare adjustment checks;
- Run necessary payroll reports and create payroll report binder for storage.
- Payroll Taxes:
- Prepare and call-in to the bank the federal withholding taxes, social security taxes and state taxes, the day before payday. Give all documentation related to the above-mentioned to the Payroll Manager for recording.
- Prepare employee/employer contributions monthly by running Microsoft Access queries;
- Create Excel spreadsheets and SQL queries to be uploaded via the Web site of TIAA-CREF;
- Make a request to wire the funds to TIAA-CREF on pay day, upload the TIAA-CREF file the day before pay day;
- Co-ordinate with HR on any payroll changes and other discrepancies in the JOBS record;
- Payroll Deductions and Remittances:
- Balance and prepare reports and request checks to remit appropriate amounts to companies along with spreadsheet of employee deductions.
- Payroll Recordkeeping:
- Create binders and folders to hold all payroll records in order to store payroll records permanently.
Educations and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree and at least three years of directly related work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience required. Payroll certification is preferred.
Must have excellent attention to detail, must be customer service oriented, must maintain a high level of confidentiality, must have good interpersonal skills. Must possess the ability to work well under pressure and handle multiple tasks. Must have knowledge of payroll, and tax laws.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Must be able to address matters with diplomacy and tact while also demonstrating excellent oral communication skills while interacting with faculty, staff, students, and the public.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have intermediate skills using Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Assigned duties may include writing business correspondence, memos, and e-mails plus create spreadsheets containing formulas and graphs. Also, must be familiar with or possess the ability to write/run SQL queries in Access, use Lotus Notes, and perform Internet searches.
Spelman College is an EOE/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify.
SPELMAN COLLEGE IS SMOKE-FREE CAMPUS
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE