Director, Sports Performance Women's Basketball, Department of Athletics
Winston Salem, NC
Welcome to Wake Forest University's Staff Career Site. To make sure your application is complete, please do the following:
- IMPORTANT: Load a resume or C.V. first (if available) then upload supporting documents under the "My Experience" section.
- Ensure you have all necessary documents available when starting the process. Once initiated, the application cannot be saved.
- Prior to submitting your application, make sure your candidate profile is current as it will transfer to your application.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the Recruiting team via email at [email protected] or by calling 336-758-4700.
Job Description Summary
Implements strategic planning and manages the day-to-day operations within their areas of responsibility.
Manages execution of the strategy of the functional or sub-functional area through a group of subordinate managers, supervisors, or individual contributors. Primary function is both operational and strategic.
- Directly manages a team of others, usually exempt professional staff; has full HR responsibility for direct reports (i.e. hire and termination).
- Leads by example with high personal expectations and appropriate advocacy for the department.
- Sets development plans and goals for upcoming year for their team members.
- Contributes ideas and viewpoints on strategic and operational plans; develops annual departmental objectives and goals.
- Decisions are complex in nature and focused on ensuring departmental objectives are met.
- Consults with others in functional area for input on decisions and receives input on decisions from Assistant/Associate Vice President/Department Head as needed to ensure alignment with functional strategy.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree and eight years of related experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, the internet, and other relevant software.
- Ability to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- Ability to present and display professional demeanor at all times.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and time management skills.
- Ability to organize workflow and coordinate activities.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Master's degree.
- Responsible for own work.
- Manages staff and/or student workers.
- Budgetary responsibilities.
Additional Job Description
Responsible for assisting in the supervision of the strength room operations to include the development and implementation of the women's basketball team conditioning for student-athletes.
- Designs and supervises total conditioning program for basketball sport during pre-season, in season, and off-season periods.
- Assists in supervision of basketball student-athletes in the strength room to include providing instructions in the safe use of all athletic lifting techniques.
- Works with designated athletic trainer in the rehabilitation of injured student-athletes to get them back to competitive health.
- Assists women's basketball coaches with on-campus recruiting of prospective student-athletes.
- Coordinates special lectures for student-athletes on such issues as the value of proper nutrition and dangers of steroid use.
- Supervises the activities and scheduling of the basketball team workouts, interns, and student assistants.
- Assists women's basketball coaches with in-season stretching and warm-up exercises as requested.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree with a minimum of four years related experience with both male and female athletes as a strength coach at the high school, collegiate, or professional level. The applicant must be Strength and Conditioning Coach Certified (SCCC) through the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Coaches Association (CSCCa) or hold either a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) as well as have current CPR and First Aid Certifications.
Physically fit for strength and conditioning related activities. Full range of physical activities including lifting, tumbling, running, throwing, kicking and jumping techniques. Medium work. Close visual acuity. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme heat and cold, and noise.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of ACC and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and the biomechanics of the body, also various training techniques/skills. Knowledge of nutrition and dietetic supplementation for college-level athletes.
- Knowledge of the principles of athletic strength and conditioning programming; knowledge of facilities and equipment.
- Knowledge of resistance and weight training principles and techniques especially Olympic Weightlifting.
- Ability to demonstrate/teach a wide variety of physical activities related to strength and conditioning.
- Knowledge of athletic injury prevention and treatment protocols.
- Ability to demonstrate effective communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to foster a cooperative environment with athletes, sports coaches, and administrators.
- Ability to motivate student-athletes and sport coaches.
- Proficiency in computer use including Microsoft Word and other relevant software applications.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Valid driver license with good driving record; must be insurable.
Time Type Requirement
Full time Note to Applicant:
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce, and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.