Director of Microfabrication Laboratory
Recruitment/Posting Title Director of Microfabrication Laboratory
Job Category Staff & Executive - Research (Laboratory/Non-Laboratory)
Department School of Engn, Dean's Office
The newest addition to the Rutgers School of Engineering is Week’s Hall, which is an interdisciplinary facility designed to anchor the School of Engineering on the Busch campus and serve as a gateway for the engineering community, industry partners, and the public. The new building—the first in the school’s history to be named for an alumnus—will feature collaborative workspaces, smart classrooms, living laboratories, and dedicated student space.
The Microfabrication clean room is 3000 square feet, including wet process, dry process, thermal process, photolithography, and materials growth areas. It supports research projects in the School of Engineering and the multidisciplinary research across Rutgers campuses and industrial users. The current on-going research projects include micro- and nano- electronic materials and devices, bioelectronics and biochips, multifunctional sensors, materials and devices for renewable energy, etc. The laboratory also facilitates graduate thesis projects, undergraduate curriculum, including lab courses, capstone designs, and special projects. Other research and teaching labs in Weeks Hall are associated with environmental science and engineering, transportation and infrastructure, fluid and coastal sciences research and also support the teaching needs of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Director of Microfabrication Laboratory for the School of Engineering Microfabrication Laboratory. This position will report jointly to the Microfabrication Laboratory’s Faculty Director and to the Sr. Associate Dean for Administration. The primary purpose of the Director of Microfabrication Laboratory is to participate in the organization, management and operations of the School of Engineering Microfabrication Laboratory and to oversee operations in the other research and teaching labs in that building. The Director of Microfabrication Laboratory develops and disseminates standard protocols, policy, procedures and best practices for all labs ensuring that all Federal, State and Rutgers safety guidelines are followed.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
• Serves as the manager for the microfabrication laboratory. In coordination with academic department staff, the Director provides general oversight of other research and teaching labs in Weeks Hall of Engineering.
• Responsible for administrative matters related to the planning, organization, management and operation of the microfabrication laboratory.
• Establishes standard protocols, practices, procedures, and techniques for effective and safe operation of the laboratory.
• Responsible for planning the use of laboratory space to best fit the needs of primary users: faculty, principal investigators, students, and external industry representatives.
• Assists department administrative staff who may support users in the interpretation of scientific aspects and specifications for provisions of purchasing or staffing research projects.
• Effectively acts as the on-site laboratory facilities manager, including directing the overall function of the Microfabrication Laboratory.
• Manages laboratory inventory, including placing and monitoring orders and receipts for equipment, supplies. Interacts with vendors to obtain quotes and negotiate pricing; tracks and manages laboratory expenditures.
• Responsible for orienting and training new student staff in use of core equipment and techniques and will serve in a supervisory role.
• Undertakes quality assurance measures.
• Trains users in lab safety practices.
• Monitors and enforces lab access granted to users.
• Advises and assists in matters of laboratory design and operation, working with both internal University staff and external contacts as necessary.
• Researches the best practices, capabilities, and effectiveness of operational elements in similar or related laboratories, evaluates same, and implements at the School of Engineering as indicated.
Position Status Full Time
Daily Work Shift Day
Annual Minimum Salary 83939.000
Annual Mid Range Salary 106245.500
Annual Maximum Salary 128552.000
Standard Hours 37.50
Union Description Admin Assembly (MPSC)
Payroll Designation PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment Staff - 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
• Master’s Degree in a relevant science and engineering fields, such as Electrical Engineering, Physics, Material Science and Engineering,
• Minimum of five years or more of relevant work experience as a lab manager, particularly the cleanroom facility manager, or engineer with extensive experiences in using and maintaining the micro-fabrication equipment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• At least one (1) year of project management experience.
• Must demonstrate the ability to manage multiple complex laboratories.
• Excellent communication skills, strong leadership and interpersonal skills
• Computer literacy in industry standard software
• Proficiency with database and reporting tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
• Comprehensive knowledge and direct experience in operation and safety monitoring of a cleanroom environment.
• Familiarity with microelectronics processing related facilities.
Cleanroom equipment pertaining to:
• Exhaust systems
• Environmental control systems
• Mechanical support systems
• Fabrication processing equipment
• Wet chemical
• Dry process
• Thermal process
• Vacuum technology
• Characterization equipment
• Optical scopes
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Will require evening and weekend hours and on call availability.
• Must be able to lift 25lbs.
Posting Number 18ST3069
Posting Open Date 09/21/2018
Regional Campus Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus Busch (RU-New Brunswick)
Location Details Piscataway, NJ, 08854