Under the supervision of the Dean of Academic Advisement & Student Retention, the Academic Advisor will share the responsibility for advising all new and continuing students on academic policies and curriculum requirements pertaining to the fulfillment of their degree programs. This position will be especially responsible for helping academically at-risk students get back on track, and will also work closely with the Dean to develop programs designed to maximize student success.
Characteristic Duties & Responsibilities:
- Advise and mentor students who are experiencing academic challenges or may be academically at-risk.
- Advise and assist new and continuing students with the selection of appropriate courses during registration periods.
- Produce and disseminate appropriate advisement literature related to academic
- planning, curriculum requirements and other academic policies and procedures.
- Advise students on all academic policies, catalogue rules, regulations and
- other guidelines governing the fulfillment of their degree programs.
- Conduct degree audits for individual students to assess and evaluate their current progress toward the satisfaction of their degree requirements.
- Produce periodic analysis of advisement-related data with the view of continuously improving our advisement delivery system.
- Facilitate one or more sections of a transition-to-MMC workshop for incoming students.
- Participate in various recruitment events and workshops, such as Open Houses, Accepted Students Days and New Student Orientation.
- Performs all other functions as assigned by the Dean of Academic Advisement & Student Retention.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education or related fields (preferred)
- At least 1-2 years of experience in the area of academic advisement or related area
- Some teaching or presentation experience preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint programs
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, administrators and other staff members
- Ability to make balanced judgments and decisions
- Ability to work well with individuals from diverse social and economic backgrounds
- Must be highly motivated to support student development and success
Marymount Manhattan College is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.