Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications
Position Type: Permanent, full-time Staff
Department: College of Science
Appointment Type: Professional Faculty, unclassified
The College of Science at Oregon State University is seeking an Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications. This is a full-time, 12-month, fixed-term professional faculty position. Reappointment is at the discretion of the Dean.
The Assistant Director of Marketing and Communications (AD) reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications to provide day-to-day marketing and communications management and planning to support the College’s strategic priorities and to enhance its brand image. The AD consults with the Director in prioritizing central College-level marketing communications efforts that support the College’s priorities and those that support department-level initiatives.
This position is part of a four-person, highly innovative and collaborative team of marketing professionals responsible for marketing, communications, social media and design for the College of Science. We are looking for an out-of-the-box, creative and passionate individual to join our team.
The Assistant Director is a leader and project-oriented marketing professional who elevates and executes the college’s brand through strategic marketing and communications plans, research and creative execution. This individual will collaborate with the Director and the team to advance recruitment, retention, student success and fundraising goals to raise the visibility of the College of Science and the university.
The AD helps to develop, produce and distribute print and digital materials and assets that advance the research, education, and outreach goals and mission of the College. The AD manages assigned projects, and creates and contributes significant, high-quality content to them. Primary responsibilities include:
- Researches, writes, edits, and manages digital and print materials, which may include print publications, websites, digital newsletters, email campaigns, social media, videos, strategic reports, event marketing, ads, banners, displays, etc.
- Models best practices for editorial content development, photographic selection, and storytelling that reflect the College’s communication goals and priorities.
- Effectively communicates research discoveries in a compelling way to the College’s diverse audiences.
- Demonstrates strong writing and editing, interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and marketing skills
- Possesses strong understanding of effective graphic design and branding principles and the use of the Internet as a communication medium
- Proficient use of a variety of communications tools and platforms, content management systems and social media
The AD assists with the development and implementation of the College’s marketing and communications plan; works with the Director to assist with brand management, ensuring message consistency across the College’s units; and provides guidance and direction on individual unit marketing efforts so that they align with the larger College strategic goals and stay on brand. The AD cultivates relationships and serves as a liaison with the College’s units to coordinate efforts that ensure synergistic, comprehensive, and consistent marketing communication activities to achieve the goals of the College’s marketing communications plan.
Nationally recognized as a center for excellence in research and teaching, the College of Science is home to over 3,400 students and 200 faculty in the life, statistical, physical and mathematical sciences. For more information about the College of Science, visit our websites: https://www.science.oregonstate.edu and http://impact.oregonstate.edu.
Oregon State University
The largest university in Oregon with 30,000 students, Oregon State University is located in Corvallis, OR, beautiful college town nestled in the heart of the Willamette Valley. An hour's drive from the Pacific Coast and two hours from the Cascades and high desert, Corvallis is an ideal site to live and work. Our hometown embodies the spirit of the Northwest, with beautiful natural surroundings, friendly citizens, and an outstanding quality of life. For more information, visit our website: https://oregonstate.edu.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or marketing.
- At least five years of communications, marketing, writing or project management experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interpret and explain complex information
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated commitment to educational equity and commitment to promoting and enhancing equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion
- Demonstrated success and willingness to participate in a team environment.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including copywriting, editing and proofreading.
- Excellent understanding of visual design.
- Discretion and sensitivity is required.
Preferred (Special) Qualifications
- Experience working in higher education and/or complex, decentralized organizations on cross-functional teams. ¬
- Experience taking photos and producing videos.
- Project management, communications and/or writing experience.
- Familiarity with design tools (Adobe)
Working Conditions/Schedule: Some night and/or weekend work may be required as needed
Application Deadline: 10/5/2018
Equal Opportunity Employer
Oregon State University is committed to inclusive excellence by advancing equity and diversity in all that we do. We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, and particularly encourage applications from members of historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups, women, individuals with disabilities, veterans, LGBTQ community members, and others who demonstrate the ability to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.