Faculty of Health Sciences
Founding faculty in the UGHE medical program will be responsible for working as part of a team to develop and teach courses in the health sciences using cutting-edge pedagogical methods. Faculty members must have a deep commitment to excellence in teaching and a broad expertise in pharmacology, anatomy and physiology, or histology and pathology. All UGHE faculty members will be required to conduct research and pursue external grant funding.
- Lead the development and improvement of longitudinal, integrated courses in the foundational health sciences
- Develop syllabi, modules, learning objectives, student assessments, case studies, simulations, problem-solving activities and classroom activities for many different science modules and courses to be taught at UGHE
- Write and oversee the preparation and delivery of examinations in the foundational health sciences and assume responsibility for timely reporting of student grades to the Dean’s office
- Recruit and coordinate part-time and visiting faculty to co-teach foundational sciences at UGHE
- Develop, or research and source, course materials to be integrated into student assignments, including readings and teaching videos
- Deliver interactive and engaging classroom instruction
- Organize all course materials in a clear, presentable way on the UGHE learning management system
- Teach laboratory classes and/or clinical simulation-based classes
- Participate in regular curriculum integration meetings across the UGHE faculty, and support community-based learning
- Coordinate with the Educational Development and Quality Center at UGHE to implement evidence-based continuous improvement of teaching and courses
- Solicit and develop international institutional relationships and partnerships
- Contribute to research at UGHE and to the development of a UGHE research agenda
- Mentor and advise students and supervise student research projects
- Manage course supplies and laboratory supplies, including ordering, stocking, preparation, and distribution
- Develop semi-annual plans, reports, and budgets to sustain academic activities at UGHE
- Serve on university committees and represent the university on external committees as assigned
- Perform additional duties as required
- Earned doctoral degree in a related field (PhD or MD plus specialty training), or an MBBS-equivalent degree with a Master’s degree; additional qualification in medical education / teaching and learning preferred
- Proven subject matter expertise in one of the following subject areas: (1) anatomy and physiology, (2) clinical pharmacology, (3) pathology, (4) biochemistry, (5) microbiology. Individuals with strong expertise in other subject areas that are foundational to the practice of medicine and and who can provide evidence of an ability to teach many different subjects may be considered.
- At least three years of experience with teaching and curriculum development in higher education
- Familiarity and experience with innovative teaching methods, such as team-based learning and problem-based learning, blended learning, formative assessment, peer instruction, or online learning
- Experience teaching and managing laboratory courses, or experience teaching clinical skills and judgement in clinical skills laboratories
- Track record of excellence in teaching and a passion for learning new material and teaching methods
- Track record of research productivity with peer-reviewed publications
- Experience with new and rapidly-growing organizations, initiatives, or departments, with an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Fluency in English required; French or Kinyarwanda language skills desired but not mandatory
Benefits of Working at UGHE
UGHE faculty will be based at our campus in Butaro, Northern Rwanda. The campus is situated in a scenic area with a mild climate year-round. New, on-campus housing is available for full-time faculty. UGHE also offers a competitive salary and health care benefits. Faculty moving to UGHE from outside of Rwanda for this position will receive a relocation allotment and an annual stipend for travel to their home countries for themselves and eligible dependents.
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) a personal statement addressing teaching philosophy and experience working with diverse student populations, (4) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in education, leadership and management experience, and/or experience in academic administration; at least one of these references should be an immediate supervisor and (5) copies of all degrees earned and current professional certifications. Please upload your cover letter, personal statement, and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under "Additional Files" on the application page. The successful candidate will start no later than June, 2019. Please apply by March 15, 2019 for full consideration of your application.
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes in health care.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Over three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima (IMB) - PIH’s sister organization - and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
The Bachelors of Medicine, Bachelors of Surgery (MBBS) program, to be launched in July 2019, aims to improve individual and population health by training diverse clinician leaders with the skills, attitudes, and commitment to promote wellness, to ease suffering, and to develop more effective and equitable health care delivery systems. Consistent with UGHE’s vision of training future leaders with expertise in health care delivery, MBBS students will also be granted the MGHD degree. In 2017, the Center for Nursing and Midwifery Leadership (CNML) was developed to address the gaps in nursing and midwifery education and to meet the needs of the health care system and most vulnerable patients around the globe.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in their drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in needed, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as they uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.