Faculty Services Librarian, Legal Research Center
Faculty Services Librarian, Legal Research Center
As one of the premier academic law libraries in the country, the Pardee Legal Research Center (LRC) supports the educational and research needs of the Law School community. In addition to a robust print collection, the LRC provides access to numerous online databases that support legal research, as well as ventures into interdisciplinary studies.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.
As a member of the public services team, plans, develops, implements and coordinates specialized library services for law school and university faculty members to support traditional and innovative faculty teaching, research, and scholarly production.
Provides research and reference services to LRC patrons; provides training and instruction in the use of legal research tools in all formats; produces bibliographies and research and informational guides for the use of LRC patrons; assists in the development, evaluation, implementation, and revision of public services research tools, policies, and procedures; gives tours of the LRC; assists in collection development; supervises circulation staff and student assistants in the absence of other professional staff; takes on and oversees projects as assigned. This position receives supervision from the Associate Director/Head of Public Services.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Faculty Services
- Reference Services
- Teaching/Training Services
- Research Services
- Management/Outreach Services
• J.D. degree from an ABA-accredited law school
• M.L.S. degree from an ALA-accredited library school, to be completed no later than 6 months after hire date
• Six months relevant experience in law, library, or related field
• Knowledge of traditional legal research methods and legal reference work
• Knowledge of all forms of information technology used in legal research and instruction, including but not limited to CALR, bibliographic utilities, integrated library automation systems, CD-ROM, and other computer technology
• Knowledge of legal research methods as taught in U.S. law schools
• Knowledge of Internet resources and searching
• Expert knowledge, use of, and ability to train in Westlaw and Lexis
• Strong interpersonal skills and team-building orientation
• Strong problem-solving ability, initiative to take appropriate action independently
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent verbal and writing skills
• Demonstrated teaching ability
• Initiative and aptitude for planning and development
• Two years law library experience (academic setting strongly preferred)
• Supervisory experience
• Public services experience
• Reference experience
• Writing and editing experience
• Knowledge and familiarity with citation styles, including Bluebook and Chicago Manual of Style
• Understanding of educational methods, goals and mission of higher education as they apply to public services in an ABA-accredited law school library
• Knowledge of the Innovative Interfaces library automation system
• Knowledge of software applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of the LRC collection
• Knowledge of LRC policies and procedures
• Knowledge and implementation of LRC mission and goals
• Knowledge of campus departments
• Knowledge of law school staff and operations involving library work
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Closing date: October 10, 2018. For priority consideration, applications should be submitted by October 1, 2018.
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
To apply, visit http://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/492380/faculty-services-librarian-legal-research-center
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency