University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Department of Surgery - Division of Urology
Position #00749547 Req. 14185
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) hired at the faculty rank of instructor (1.0 FTE) carries out duties related to patient care on the Urology Inpatient Service. These duties include inpatient assessment, patient education, care coordination and disease management as well as the provision of urologic consultation to other services. Close collaboration with the surgeons, resident staff and hospital staff will be necessary. This position will serve as an integral part of the Urology team providing care to a general patient population while on the Urology Service and during all transitions of care. This position will require weekend coverage on a rotating basis.
The NP works under the direct supervision of the full-time faculty or designee, this position provides inpatient medical care services at the University Of Colorado Hospital School Of Medicine's Division of Urology Division in the Department of Surgery.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties and responsibilities of the NP may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Evaluate and manage patients who are candidates for Urology care and/or surgery. This includes obtaining a thorough history and performing an appropriate physical examination and ordering appropriate testing as well as management of patients with post-operative complications. Monitoring overall care and providing education about the risks and benefits of the surgical procedures is also expected.
- See and evaluate patients in the hospital, provide documentation, an assessment and care plan for inpatient stay and discharge care planning.
- Evaluate and manage patients with urgent or emergent complaints in conjunction with the primary surgery.
- These duties will include inpatient responsibilities such as rounding, writing orders, discharge, patient assessment, patient education, care coordination and disease management.
- Triage patient telephone calls and emails and provide consultation.
- Provide monitoring and continuity of care for patients between physician visits.
- Attend required meetings and participate in committees as requested.
- Support and uphold established organizational policies, procedures, objective related to quality improvement, safety, environmental, and infection control.
- Provide urologic inpatient consultation in collaboration with faculty member and residents.
- Participates in performance improvement activities; quality improvement and patient safety activities; assists in maintaining compliance with Joint Commission accreditation and other internal and external regulatory standards including the code of conduct.
- DNP preferred/MSN required from an accredited Nurse Practitioner program
- Current Advanced Practice Registered Nurse credential
- Current Registered Nurse licensure in the state of Colorado
- Admission to the Advanced Practice Registry of the Colorado Board of Nursing
- Prescriptive authority required 1 year experience in specialty area
- Current ACLS certification
- Two years prior experience in the treatment and care of Urology patients preferred.
- Knowledge of the professional, medical and surgical practice to evaluate and treat all patient care services in all areas of Urologic care.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments to administer patient care.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work environment.
- Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of medicine and surgery to provide on-going patient care.
- Skill in taking medical history, assessing medical condition and interpreting findings.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining records, writing reports, and responding to correspondence.
- Skill in developing and maintaining department quality assurance.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with patients and their family members, medical staff, residents, fellows, medical students, and the public.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to communicate clearly as an integral member of a team.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin 7/30/2018, and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 14185
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20341 - SOM-SRG-UR DIV Clinical
Posting Date: Jul 19, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jason Owens
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00749647