Lab Technician 1
Working Title: Lab Technician 1
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Pharmacology
Posting Date: 09-17-2018
The Department of Pharmacology seeks a motivated Laboratory Technician I to support and perform research in the laboratory of Dr. Bimal Desai. Duties involve supporting laboratory research aimed at understanding the role of ion channels in immunity and inflammation. Responsibilities include managing transgenic mouse colonies (tagging, tailing and genotyping), performing animal surgeries and lab administrative tasks (ordering, inventories, etc.)
Qualified applicants must have significant experience in handling rodents and familiarity with transgenic genotyping methods. The minimum educational requirement for highly experienced candidates is high school diploma but applicants with less than two years of rodent-handling experience are expected to have an associates or bachelor's degree. Incumbent must be comfortable handling rodents and have excellent communication skills with proficiency in English, knowledge of Mendelian genetics, and experience with PCR.
This position is restricted and is contingent on the continuation of funding.
This position will remain open to applications until filled.
To apply for this position, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=85507 and search on Posting # 0624052. Complete an application online, attach a cover letter, resume/CV, and contact information for three references.
For information related to this posting, please contact Dr. Bimal Desai, at email@example.com . For information related to the application process, please contact Jolene Kidd at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-924-1920.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to resolve problems.
2. Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
3. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
4. Ability to collect data or samples.
5. Working knowledge of the theory and application of the physical sciences and instrumentation related to field of assignment.
6. Knowledge of general laboratory procedures and equipment.
7. Some knowledge of analytical techniques in chemistry, biology, or related sciences.
8. Ability to plan and execute tasks or experiments.
9. Excellent communication skills, proficiency in English.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=85507