COMMUNICATIONS MGR, INNOVATION & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
COMMUNICATIONS MGR, INNOVATION & ENTREPRENEURSHIP
PAS Adm - Duke Entrepreneurship
The Communications Manager serves as the primary writer/content creator for I&E and plays an important role in telling the story of innovation and entrepreneurship across Duke. S/he will work with the I&E team and Duke communicators to ensure that I&E serves as an umbrella for university-wide entrepreneurial resources that are available to the entire Duke community (students, faculty, alumni, staff, parents) and to increase Duke's profile as an international leader in this space. The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer, experienced content creator, savvy digital marketer and strong project manager who is passionate about the role that innovation and entrepreneurship playin positively impacting the world. S/he will be experienced in sourcing, writing, producing and sharing compelling content across internal and external platforms. And, s/he will also be a strong ambassador for I&E across the Duke community with a natural inclination for collaboration. S/he will work across the I&E team and with fellow Duke communicators to identify stories and upcoming engagement opportunities (e.g., courses, programs), cultivate/support spokespeople and use communications to help advance Duke efforts to build the next generation of entrepreneurial change-makers and help to carry Duke innovations to the marketplace where they can do the most good.
Work Performed The I&E Communications Manager will report to the Associate Director of Operations & Strategy while working closelywith the I&E Strategic Advisor for Communications &Partnerships and I&E Multimedia Producer, with oversight of vendor relationships and possibly interns .
Responsibilities will include:
Writing, Editing & Overall Content Generation
• Working closely with the I&E team to create multimedia campaigns, content series and outputs across platforms and formats, including, but not limited to, videos, animations, info- graphics and podcasts, both as part of our strategic communications and leveraging opportunities in the news cycle;
• Building I&E out as a hub for content creation and strategic storytelling for innovation and entrepreneurship across Duke, incorporating success stories, expert advice, research reports, and other knowledge products into effective collateral and outreach tools;
• Collaborating with communicators across Duke to create tent-pole content several times a year that is timely and relevant on topics where Duke is an international leader (e.g., teaching the entrepreneurial mindset, Duke's method for bringing innovations to the marketplace, creating social value via innovation);
• Maintaining I&E branding and messaging consistency including managing I&E digital library, including photos, videos, and info-graphics;
• Providing I&E team with support and editing services on important public-facing content (e.g., documents, videos, info-graphics, etc.);
Website and Digital/Social/Traditional Media Management
• Working with vendors on website refresh, writing all new website content and making day-to-day changes/updates to I&E's website (training canbe provided) while monitoring, analyzing, reporting on, and seeking areas to enhanceweb, social media and email KPIs;
• Providing strategic support for I&E's social media, keeping it current, relevant, and engaging while providing monthly reporting on growth and recommendations on improving reach and impact;
• Tracking external publications, media coverage of innovation/entrepreneurship and conferences and pitching Duke speakers and stories;
• Organizing and handling follow up for a quarterly Duke-wide innovation & entrepreneurship communicators meeting and for internal I&E monthly team communications meeting;
• Working with Duke staff members to determine how best to meet program and editorial needs for info-graphics, print materials, web design and content,digital communications, and advertising, including collaborating with and overseeing contracts for design agencies, photographers and our in-house multimedia producer;
• Overseeing timely development (including writing all content), production, and promotion of the I&E monthly newsletter, including managing and enhancing contacts lists via a CRM system;
• Managing a communications calendar for I&E and Duke-wide Innovation & engagements;
• Supervising assigned staff members to ensure projects are completed accurately and in a timely manner; Other projects and duties as assigned.
BA in Communications, English or related field
• 5 years of working on multi-faceted communications programs;
• Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities efficiently and effectively;
• Excellent writing, editing, and oral communications skills. Proven experience drafting a wide range of content, including newsletters, social media, press releases, video scripts, fact sheets, and op-eds;
• Experience managing and developing content for web and social media channels to keep key audiences engaged and informed;
• Demonstrated time- and project-management skills, including an ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization. Ability to set priorities and identify resources;
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision. Flexible and able to routinely juggle multiple competing priorities and work with internal and external teams to meet project goals;
• Proficiency in InDesign, Photoshop, and WordPress preferable
• Experience with email segmentation and communication strategies also a plus;
• Confidence in presenting one's own ideas and diplomatically persuading others;
• Sense of humor, creative energy, proactive, and strong skills working in teams; problem solver; relationship-builder; and solid inter-personal skills;
• Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
• This position includes work that at times takes place after "standard" office hours and on weekends.
Please provide links for 3 work samples along with application.
The Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative works across the Duke community to turn ideas into action that can positively impact the world. I&E serves as an umbrella and entrepreneurial resource center across the university for students, faculty, and alumni who are using innovative approaches to tackle complex problems in order to create social impact. With a dual focus onbuilding the next generation of entrepreneurial change-makers and helping to carry Duke innovations to the marketplace where they can do the most good. I&E supports the Duke community through:
• Teaching: classes and intensive hands-on experiences that build innovative mindsets and introduce entrepreneurial skills (ideation, business fundamentals, marketing, new venture creation)
• Mentoring: one-on-one engagement with experts in the field
• Realization: support for Duke entrepreneurs in moving their ideas into products in the marketplace
• Research: top tier scholarship on best practices and latest thinking on innovation and Entrepreneurship
• Funding: investment in promising ideas with the necessary resources to seed new ventures For more information about Duke I&E, see entrepreneurship.duke.edu
1268 PUBLIC RELATIONS SPEC, SENIOR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires the ability to perform creative writing and relatedactivities such as conducting interviews and research, and copy editingnormally acquired through attainment of a bachelor's degree inJournalism, English or a related discipline.
Work requires two years of directly related writing experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.