Director of Marketing, Communications & Alumni Affairs
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Pharmacy
Job Title: Director of Marketing, Communications & Alumni Affairs
Position #682840 - Requisition #13658
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Who we are:
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets. Read more about us here.
The School of Pharmacy has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Director of Marketing, Communications & Alumni Affairs position.
Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations such as parking and transportation services, risk management, childcare services, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities.
Directors are responsible for the ongoing leadership and oversight of a department, including the development of strategies and processes which contribute to the University and/or campus mission and accountability for services provided. Directors are responsible and accountable for the analysis of fiscal and human resources required to achieve department objectives including hiring, compensation, termination, and performance management of subordinate employees.
This position is responsible for leading and developing the Marketing/Communications/Alumni Affairs team for the purpose of creating, implementing and directing strategic marketing, communications and alumni relations plans for the Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences (SSPPS) for the primary purpose of creating mutually beneficial professional and business relationships, recruiting highly qualified students, and increasing alumni support of the school. In addition, this position works in collaboration with the dean, associate dean for undergraduate outreach and initiatives, department chairs, faculty, administrators and the University of Colorado Denver (UCD) Communications and Alumni Affairs offices in raising the public's awareness of the teaching, research, clinical and service missions of the SSPPS.
Examples of Work Performed:
In the various responsibilities listed below, this position works collaboratively with the Communications, Marketing and Alumni Affairs Team members as well as other units within the school to achieve the school's goals. This position serves in both leadership/managerial and hands-on roles in meeting the responsibilities of this unit.
• Leads, develops and implements a strategic marketing plan for the SSPPS in collaboration with the Office of Student Services (OSS), Admissions, the Distance Degrees Programs (DDP), and PhD programs to market their programs most effectively.
• Leads, develops and implements a strategic communications plan for the SSPPS. Identifies areas of strength within the school to publicize to internal and external audiences. Leverages university resources and works in tandem with the UCD Communications Office to craft consistent messages that support the school's missions and assists in major SSPPS issue management. Executes communications plan through strategies and tactics such as news media relations, publications, internal and external communications, crisis communications all in coordination with the Communications Office. Identifies, develops and implements new activities that will increase the effectiveness of the communications plan and improve the dissemination of key information to faculty, administrators and other constituents. Anticipates and troubleshoots potential news issues.
• Leads, develops and supports alumni relations through communications with the alumni and current students, including development of an alumni association, organizing alumni events, e.g., to recognize distinguished alumni, and coordinating opportunities for alumni and students to develop social and professional relationships. Works in close collaboration with the University of Colorado Anschutz Office of Alumni Affairs to promote and support alumni activities. Provides support for development projects in the school by acting as a liaison to the CU Foundation, coordinating meetings of the Dean's Development Council, coordinating support for fundraising campaigns and planning and conducting visits with alumni and donors. Suggests programmatic areas needing support that might appeal to various corporate and foundation sources.
• Determines, in collaboration with the associate dean for finance and budget, and oversees budgets and makes strategic decisions based on available funds.
• Ensures brand compliance through all marketing vehicles.
• Leads, supervises and oversees implementation, development and deployment of a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, strategies and technologies (Salesforce) to manage and analyze customer interactions and data throughout the customer lifecycle, with the goal of enhancing student recruitment, while improving relationships with potential students, current students, preceptors, alumni, donors, all while assisting in retention, increasing/sustaining enrollment and acceptance numbers. Designed to compile information on customers across different channels including our website, telephone, live chat, direct mail, marketing materials and social media, the CRM will track our prospects through their lifecycle and help form strategies on how to meet our prospects, leads and friends.
• Leads, in collaboration with the marketing team, marketing advisory group and executive committee, advertising campaign efforts on behalf of SSPPS, and directing the graphic design and media buying firms selected for the campaigns.
• Utilizes, analyzes and introduces new technologies (e.g. live-chat, Brazen) to be more responsive to our customers.
• Analyzes existing communications related to SSPPS (internal communication, news media, publications, alumni relations, relations with donors) and makes strategic, diplomatic and budget recommendations for improvement.
• Leads digital and online marketing efforts, in collaboration with the appropriate constituents. This includes website content management/development, and social media strategy, content development and execution for a variety of platforms including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram.
• In collaboration with the associate dean for undergraduate outreach and initiatives, DDP, OSS, and the PhD Program leaders, assists in recruiting efforts including developing and giving tours to potential students and their family members; and attends and participates in conferences representing the school to potential students. Strategizes and develops recruiting presentations that resonate with target audiences
• Directs and oversees UPP program with undergraduate student interns, in collaboration with the associate dean for undergraduate outreach and initiatives, DDP, OSS, and the PhD Program leaders. Creates relationships with interns, understands their interests, and matches them to faculty to maximize the experience they receive. Then continues to follow through student life cycle, engaging with them in order to encourage enrollment.
• In collaboration with the appropriate constituents, directs, develops, scripts, and produces videos that market our programs and can be repurposed for usage on the website and media channels.
• Oversees the production and design of the SSPPS newsletter including writing, and contracting with freelance writers
• Writes, develops, and pitches stories and articles. Directs/conducts media relations and media training for faculty and escorts media while on campus.
• Assists in disseminating strategic messages about SSPPS. Such support might include writing speeches, developing educational programs, collaborating with other affiliates and organizational partners, meeting with faculty, department chairs and administrators, writing reports, researching policies and programs at other schools and assisting in long-range communications planning and development.
• Oversees the usage of a digital asset management system to archive and tag all of our digital assets (photography, design and video).
• Works with the Chancellor's office to better assist in coordinating communication with and through the CU President's office, Board of Regents, Federal and State government relations, UCD central administration, etc.
• Participates as a member of the campus public relations team and serves as liaison between the Communications Office and the SSPPS Office of the Dean.
• Performs a variety of other duties as assigned or as necessary to manage communications for the Office of the Dean in an efficient, professional, customer-friendly manner.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelors degree in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, business administration, public administration or a closely related field
- Four years of progressively responsible marketing experience
- A Master's degree in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, business administration, public administration or a closely related field
- Professional experience in marketing and student recruiting, alumni relations, or communications - in a higher education setting
- Demonstrated experience and success in project management
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to understand scientific research and convert into articles and marketing materials
- Ability to build professional and effective relationships with a diverse audience, including faculty, administration, students, alumni and external constituents
- Advanced computer skills, especially in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Project management skills
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience
- This position is not eligible for overtime compensation
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20518 - SOP-Administration
Posting Date: May 17, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jay Rodenburg
Posting Contact Email: Jay.Rodenburg@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00682840