SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE DEAN, SANFORD SCHOOL
SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE DEAN, SANFORD SCHOOL
SSPP Dean's Offc Adm
The Special Assistant to the Dean supports all business overseen by the Dean, helps resolves complex problems related to the school's operations and programs, provides analysis and assistance in developing new programs and capacities to meet strategic goals, and assists in the management and oversight of new initiatives. The position will be supervised by the Dean of the Sanford School.
• Provide leadership on special projects of school-wide importance on behalf of the Dean.
• Meet weekly with the Dean to ensure the timely conduct of all business, to provide updates on priorities, and to relay time sensitive matters and questions from key stakeholders.
• Represent and act on behalf of the Dean at designated meetings, or join the dean as needed at such meetings.
• Convene and participate in work group meetings.
• Research and analyze pertinent data and present appropriate recommendations reflecting the position of the Dean's office.
• Resolve complex problems related to administrative and business matters in collaboration with key stakeholders.
• Provide high-level, strategic support for the Dean's development efforts, which may include preparing proposals, cost benefit analysis.
• Provide implementation support for new initiatives.
• Ensure timely completion of actions requiring the Dean's attention, taking the lead where appropriate in advancing each task toward completion.
• Work with schools and units across Duke to develop joint initiatives.
• Liaise with high profile policy practitioners, government officials, and distinguished visitors to the school. Position may require travel.
In addition the successful candidate will possess the following qualities/attributes:
• Strong interpersonal communication and writing skills.
• Comfortable initiating projects
• Strong analytical and research skills, including experience working with data, and a thorough understanding of public policy research and cost benefit analysis.
• Clear, strategic thinking
• Demonstrated leadership experience.
• Passion for the mission and work of the Sanford School of Public Policy.
• Ability to exercise discretion and judgment.
• Ability to take initiative and work with team members in a flexible, dynamic, rapidly evolving environment.
• Strong ability to multi-task and keep on tasks and follow through on assignments to their successful completion.
• Ability to organize, motivate and mobilize others. Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
2033 ASSIST DIR, SPECIAL PROJECTS
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, genderidentity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex,sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robustexchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity ofour perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achievethis exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feelsecure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals arerespected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our communityhave a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a general business background generally equivalent to aBachelor's degree in a business related field. Master's degree or MBApreferred.
Work requires four years of progressive experience in programmanagement and administration.A Master's degree in a business related field may be substituted fortwo years experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.