Student Central Representative
Posting # 2018-1310
Location US-WI-Eau Claire
Category Support Staff
Close Date 9/30/2018
FLSA Status Non-Exempt
Hourly Pay Rate/Salary Based on hourly staff, level 4: Starting rate of $15.46
Hours per Week 40
Work Schedule Typical work hours are between 10 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. Monday - Thursday and 8:15 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. on Friday. However, this position is customer-focused and may require the ability to adjust schedule to meet College, department and customer needs.
Anticipated Start Date As soon as possible
Overview and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Student Central Manager, Student Central Representatives are responsible for serving as the first point of contact for telephone, walk-in, and online student services customers.
- Serve as the first point of contact for telephone, walk-in, and on-line customers for the following Student Services departments: Admissions, Financial Aid, Records and Registration, and Academic Advising, Student Success & Career Development. Student Central Representatives will be cross-functional in the walk-in center, call center, and virtual center.
- Provide superior customer service.
- Provide cross-functional services to all student services teams as requested.
- Track and categorize walk-ins, emails, and phone calls with each customer, maintaining record of interactions and follow-up required.
- Provide content for Student Central social media pages.
- Participate in SOAR (Student Outreach and Retention) initiative and make outreach phone calls to students as assigned.
- Assist prospective students with application process.
- Provide information on program and admission requirements, including test cutoff scores for courses and programs, missing documents or incomplete information in application process.
- Assist students with questions regarding student academic progress, current status, and next steps for appeal; process appeals.
- Train new CVTC employees through shadowing in Student Central and Banner (ERP software) training.
- Troubleshoot registration errors, system issues, and inquiries concerning registration.
- Test functionality of Banner upgrades and patches, particularly the general person record and Clean Address.
- Open, balance, and close cashiering sessions. Accept application fees, tuition payments, compass, GED, and various student account payments.
- Schedule assessment appointments, take payment, and assist students to register online.
- Perform prerequisite and closed section overrides.
- Assist students with financial aid process. Answer questions regarding financial aid fund disbursement, award letters, FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) updates, loan entrance/exit counseling, and MPN (Master Promissory Note).
- Provide information on courses and programs not eligible for financial aid, and CVTC Foundation and private scholarship application process.
- Perform and escalate emergency tasks as appropriate.
- Assist students with accessing CVTC public website, My CVTC, Student Information System (SIS), e-mail, and other student systems. Assist with account creation and troubleshooting.
- Register students into classes and create a student record when appropriate. Mail student schedule/bills.
- Drop students from classes, apply refunds, and complete appropriate paperwork.
- Provide information on registration activities to include registration dates and times, withdrawal process, satisfactory academic procedures, etc.
- Process address and legal name changes and assist with Banner account cleanup.
- Provide record information as requested, while abiding by FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) policies.
- Forward requests for transcripts, enrollment verifications, etc. to processing staff.
- Mail catalogs, brochures, maps, etc. as requested.
- Participate in all ongoing training sessions in order to maintain a high level of efficiency in Student Services.
- Assist with career tours, recruitment events, and special projects as requested.
- Index documents into students' electronic records.
- Verify correct scanning and indexing of student records.
- Maintain Student Central webpage on a daily basis, which includes all important dates, forms, and general information.
- Promote and market College activities and events on behalf of recruitment and marketing departments.
- May direct activities of work study students.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work in a challenging, high volume, multitasking environment.
- Ability to learn College organization, policies, and procedures related to position.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to deal with and manage conflict.
- Ability to provide accurate information in a courteous, friendly, concise, and approachable manner.
- Ability to use judgment, discretion, and decision making skills in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues.
- Ability to model integrity through self-awareness, personal accountability, ethical behavior, quality standards, and sustainable practices.
- Ability to think critically by applying problem solving practices, acquiring relevant information, using technology and other resources appropriately, and evaluating alternatives.
- Ability to communicate effectively by speaking and writing clearly, concisely, and professionally; practicing active listening; reading critically and adapting communication for audience.
- Ability to value diversity by recognizing personal biases, adapting to culturally diverse situations, and demonstrating a commitment to equity, inclusion, and respectful interactions with persons of diverse ethnic, cultural, social-economic, or educational backgrounds.
- Intermediate knowledge of and skills with technology including software programs for communication, data collection, and decision making including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Ability to work nonstandard hours as necessary.
- Associate degree in a field related to the responsibilities of this position.
- Minimum of two years of experience working in a customer service or professional office setting.
As an equal opportunity/access employer and educator, CVTC is committed to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive environment. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Health and dental insurance for all family members
- Life and long-term disability insurance
- Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS)
- 403(B) tax deferred annuity program
- 457 deferred compensation plan
- Section 125 flexible spending accounts
- Paid vacation, holidays, personal, and sick leave
CVTC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the college's non-discrimination policies: Director of Human Resources, 620 W. Clairemont Avenue, Eau Claire, WI 54701, 715-833-6334, WI Relay: 711
Chippewa Valley Technical College (CVTC) is part of the Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) and serves an eleven-county area in west central Wisconsin. The largest campus is located in Eau Claire and includes a Business Education Center and Health Education Center, plus a Manufacturing Education Center at the Gateway Campus and an Emergency Service Education Center and Energy Education Center at the West Campus. CVTC has regional centers in Chippewa Falls, Menomonie, Neillsville and River Falls. The College is one of 16 WTCS colleges located throughout the state.
CVTC offers 66 programs, over 25 certificates, and customized training to an average of 140 businesses annually. CVTC has an outstanding placement rate, with 91% of CVTC graduates are employed within six months of graduation, with 88% in a related field.
CVTC has a nationally recognized faculty and state-of-the art facilities and equipment. Business and industry leaders serve on advisory committees and help CVTC match its curriculum to the needs of today's workplace. Courses are offered at numerous locations in traditional classroom settings, as well as online and in a variety of blended and hybrid formats.
Equal Opportunity/Access Employer and Educator
Chippewa Valley Technical College (CVTC) does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its employment, admissions, programs, or activities.
View Complete Equal Opportunity/Access Employer & Educator Statement at https://www.cvtc.edu/about-cvtc/equal-opportunity-college