Associate Vice President for Benefits, Compensation and Payroll
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date July 17, 2018
Position Title Associate Vice President for Benefits, Compensation and Payroll
Vacancy # V-1531
Department Human Resources
Division Human Resources
Reporting to the Vice President for Human Resources, the Associate Vice President for Benefits, Compensation and Payroll has responsibility for providing strategic oversight and leading the development and implementation of policies, practices and administrative systems in the areas of Benefits, Compensation and Payroll. The AVP will establish and implement short and long term organizational goals, strategic plans, policies and operating procedures. With the implementation of Workday, this leadership role offers the opportunity to make a significant impact during a period where the University is proactively implementing enhancements and improvements of its systems and operations to strengthen the University's position in higher education. The AVP will supervise the Director of Benefits, Director of Classification, Compensation and Performance, Director of Payroll, and their respective teams.
- Oversee the Benefits team to ensure the smooth operation of the day-to day operations including the administration of health, dental and ancillary benefits, pension and retirement benefits, and other activities of the University in accordance with State and Federal guidelines.
- Provides direction and leadership to the Classification, Compensation and Performance team on the administration of managerial, unclassified and classified staffing operations while ensuring compliance with multiple collective bargaining agreements and New Jersey State civil service rules and regulations. Oversee the managerial and professional staff reclassification, performance evaluation and reappointment process.
- Oversee the Payroll team in the administration and operations of programs, policies and procedures related to employee compensation, including payroll and timekeeping for an employee population of approximately 5,600. Ensure the Payroll team's execution of on-time and accurate payrolls in compliance with state/federal requirements and collective bargaining agreements.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Undergraduate degree is required; Master's Degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive leadership experience directly related to the responsibilities specified.
- Knowledge of federal and state benefits reporting regulations and procedures.
- Experience with Workday HCM, and Payroll and Benefits strongly preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel and the ability to quickly learn new applications.
- Dynamic, articulate leader with proven ability to communicate clearly in both written and verbal form.
- Demonstrable interpersonal and problem-solving skills with a proven track record of developing and maintaining effective working relationships with a wide range of employee constituents.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service, and to valuing diversity.
- Higher education and/or public sector experience in a unionized environment is preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Apply By Open until filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION