Academic Advisor and Career/Pre-Professional Advising Specialist, CSAM
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date July 17, 2018
Position Title Academic Advisor and Career/Pre-Professional Advising Specialist, CSAM
Vacancy # V-1521
Department College of Science and Mathematics
Division Academic Affairs
Reporting to the College of Science and Mathematics (CSAM) Director of Academic Advising in the CSAM Student Success Center (CSAM-SSC), the Academic Advisor and Career Advising Specialist advises a caseload of Science and Mathematics major students. As an academic advisor, this individual is part of a centralized professional advising team that develops, coordinates, implements, and assesses a variety of activities designed to assist Science and Mathematics undergraduate students in their transition to University life, to ensure that they enroll in appropriate courses, to help them find appropriate department/faculty advising and resources in their major program, and to stay on track to timely degree completion. As a career advising and pre-professional specialist, this individual will develop and support integrated academic-career advising initiatives to help CSAM students develop professional career competencies, select majors and courses aligned with career goals, secure appropriate experiential learning opportunities, and prepare to enter the workforce or graduate/professional school with integrated academic and career competencies.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the execution of a comprehensive and holistic academic central advising program that addresses the needs and promotes academic success of CSAM students.
- Assists the CSAM Career Services Director with career services events, initiatives, and advising.
- Provides academic advising for cooperative education students and assist the Career Services Director with placement and evaluation.
- Provides academic advising to CSAM students, including transactional advising about course selection, developmental advising about personal, career, and major choices, intrusive advising for at-risk students, and academic coaching.
- Maintains a caseload of undergraduate advisees from their admission into or declaration of a CSAM major.
- Maintains currency in the theory and practice of Academic Advising.
- Collaborates with Admissions, Student Academic Services, and the CSAM academic Departments to facilitate the onboarding of new First-Year and Transfer students.
- Collaborates with University College and the CSAM Departments to facilitate the transition of University College students into major science and mathematics programs.
- Assists with development and delivery of new student orientation and family orientation programs.
- Helps CSAM students understand and successfully negotiate University processes, procedures, policies, and regulations.
- Collaborates with CSAM Departments on University wide retention initiatives.
- Collaborates with CSAM Departments on University wide advising initiatives and to ensure the consistency and quality of advising across the University.
- Participation in college and university events related to advising, recruiting, and other student activities, with some of these events occurring on nights and weekends.
- Assists with placement and processing of CSAM majors in the cooperative education program.
- Partners with the university pre-health committee to provide mock interviews, personal statement development, and provide the official university pre-health committee letter to accompany qualified applications to medical and dental programs.
- Tracks student success in applications for employment or professional study, standardized test performance, and alumni success.
- Works with CSAM undergraduate students, in one-on-one and group settings, to develop professional competencies, including oral and written presentation skills, resume construction, cover letter writing, interview skills, and other professional development activities and services.
- Assists in the selection, training, and evaluation of CSAM Ambassadors and Peer Mentors.
- Represents the CSAM-SSC at University events and on committees as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management has the right to change job duties. This is not considered a complete job description.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Master's Degree.
- Two year's full-time professional experience working in higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Facility with enterprise applications and software.
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced, diverse, working environment.
- Familiarity with and experience of working on student success initiatives.
- Familiarity and experience with STEM academic programs.
- Experience with successful and effective career development and advising initiatives.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION