Student Services Academic Advisor
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date July 17, 2018
Position Title Student Services Academic Advisor
Vacancy # V-1524
Department School of Business
Division Academic Affairs
Reporting to the Feliciano School of Business (FSofB) Director of Academic Advising, the Student Services Academic Advisor is responsible for providing a range of support services to students and faculty advisors in the FSofB.
The Student Services Advisor will work in collaboration with the other professional staff in the McColgan Center for Student Services in the FSofB to provide services related to student recruitment, enrollment, academic advising, retention, and professional development for undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in FSofB programs.
The Student Services Advisor will collaborate with MSU counterparts housed in University College, Admissions, Red Hawk Central and the Office of the Registrar. The advisor will actively assist in the development of recruitment, admission, advisement, and retention initiatives, participation in college and university events related to advising, recruiting and other student activities, with some of these events occurring on nights and weekends.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves primarily as a student academic advisor for students enrolled in FSofB programs
*Provides admission and academic counseling
*Communicates changes in curriculum and admissions standards and procedures
*Provides assistance for students interested in transferring into FSofB program
*Reviews, evaluates, and processes internal transfer student applications
*Performs outreach to non-registered FSofB students
*Reviews and manages students admitted conditionally to FSofB
*Academically advise new transfers, first semester freshman and students on probation
- Serves as academic advisor to students in FSofB international programs.
- Serves as a resource person for students enrolled in FSofB programs.
- Develops and implements presentations, training, and workshops for students and/or staff.
- Makes referrrals to on and off campus counseling and mental health resources when appropriate
- Tracks student advisor caseload.
- Learns and fully utilizes information technology related to student services including, Banner, Degree Works, and Starfish.
- Participation in college and university events related to advising, recruiting, and other student activities, with some of these events occurring on nights and weekends.
- Assists in planning Center and School meetings related to assigned responsibilities.
- Works with FSofB committees including the Student Services Committee, as needed.
- Represents the School and University at professional organization meetings and events.
- Compiles and analyzes student data and develops materials required for accreditation, publications, and other reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management has the right to change job duties. This is not considered a complete job description.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's degree and two years of professional experience in advising or counseling in higher education.
- An understanding of non-traditional student populations.
- Ability to advise and counsel students and others concerning school/university programs, activities, and services.
- Must have excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills, and the ability to work effectively both individually and as a team member.
- Ability to leverage technology in advising and counseling activities.
- Must be a team player; detail/results oriented; able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
- Experience with business school curriculum and programs is preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION