Laboratory Assistant II
$36,102 - $42,512
The Incumbent serves as the primary support staff on a rotational basis for the lower division labs in Cell and Molecular Biology (Bio2/Bio5A), Organismal Biology (Bio 3), Ecology and Evolution (Bio SC). The person filling the position also may serve as back-up staff for this and other upper division labs such as 121L, 161A, 161B, and 171L. Provides guidance regarding equipment and other laboratory procedures to teaching assistants, staff, and faculty. The performance of the duties In this position can affect the lab experience of 800 students each quarter. Maintain accurate records for the receipt of deliveries for two departments, Inventory of supplies and equipment and chemical or biohazard waste. May direct daily activities of student employees to accomplish these goals, thus requiring the ability to prioritize tasks for self and others.
-Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma and two years of laboratory experience or two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or sacral sciences and one year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
-Competent In the use of laboratory equipment such as micropipetters, pH meters, spectrophotometers, microscopes, autoclaves and centrifuges. Ability to recognize equipment operating In a substandard manner. Knowledge of recommended safe laboratory techniques for both chemical and biological hazards.
-Knowledge of general laboratory management.
-See Education section for general lab experience. Experience working in a laboratory environment, preferably a life sciences lab with both students and staff.
-Ability to multi-task while maintaining quality work with a high rate of productivity. Prior experience In ordering and maintaining general lab inventory. Able to adapt procedures or set-ups according to availability of materials or equipment.
-Skill ln adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. Skill in computing ratios, rates, and percentages. Ability to calculate chemical concentrations as micro-molar, molar, or molal and percent weight or volume.
-Skill In accurate record keeping with strict attention to detail. Skill in organizing tasks, documents and materials with efficiency and accuracy. Familiarity with MS Word, Excel, email programs and other standard office programs. Familiarity with iMac and PC computers.
-Able to work with students, staff and faculty from diverse backgrounds. Good English communication skills. Ability to adapt quickly to changes In task priorities for self and students under direction.
- A BS or BA in biology or related life sciences, wlith experience in subject matters that range from the subcellular and microscopic level to the macroscopic such as anatomy, physiology and ecology.
- Experience working in a laboratory environment including: Growth of pure bacteria cultures, preparation of chemical solutions and media.
- Previous experience with providing direction to students or lower level employees.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview