Part-Time Advisor II, Bachelor (Pathways to Teaching Grant Funded)
Commitment to Mission:
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- Students Matter
- Inspire Excellence
- Act Intentionally
- Better Together
- No Fear!
The Chronicle of Higher Education's "Great Colleges to Work For" is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.
Campus Marketing Statement:
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow's workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston, has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental hygiene.
Campus address is 20000 Kingwood Drive. Kingwood, Texas 77339-3801
Provides academic advice to a cohort of students. Serves as first line of contact for students. Provides direction and referrals to a cohort group to meet the student needs. Meets with students on a regular basis to track their success and progress. Reports on progress of students and involves others to assist with their success.
- Advises cohort of students on a campus-wide basis. Meets with students on a regular basis to track their academic progress and success.
- Tracks and provides data on cohort group including success, retention, and completion rates.
- Assists students in creating their MEP (My Educational Plan) by end of student's first semester.
- Advises students on proper course selection for all credit degree programs, credit and non-credit certificate programs, including TSI regulations, course prerequisites, co-requisites, and recommended course sequence as well as articulation agreements relating to transfer programs associated with University Center and other colleges and universities.
- Provides career advising to students.
- Works with faculty and counselors to develop and deliver Student Success and HUMD courses.
- Works with faculty and coaches of cohort group to identify needed early interventions.
- Provides informational and training sessions related to first-time-in-college students.
- May work with local school districts on advising early college, dual credit, tech prep students and/or potential students.
- Refers students to Counselors when necessary.
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work well with all levels of students.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty and staff.
- Minimal physical effort is required
$20.70/Per Hour (Not to exceed 19.5 hours per week)
Work Schedule & Conditions:
- PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- A climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards is the general work environment, unless otherwise stated in job announcement
Please go to your profile page. To add a file, select the "attachments" tab. Click on the "add" tab. Click "Browse" and select the file you want to attach. Then click "attach." It will redirect you back to the general profile page. Repeat steps to add additional documents.
Tips: You can only attach a maximum of five (5) files no larger than 2MB (2047 bytes) each. The total file capacity is 10MB. If your individual file exceeds the file limit, you will receive an error message. The search tool recruiter's use for candidates will not be able to analyze the content of some attached files, mostly image files, and compressed files (zip). The recommended file attachments are word or pdf files.
Duration of Job Posting:
Position posted until filled
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least 3 years of related work experience with students in a higher education setting, including students with diverse backgrounds
- Experience working with students who have unique barriers and experience in assisting these students with their educational success.
Benefits Marketing Statement:
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in the TIAA-CREF retirement plan and more.
How to Apply:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY!
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option
to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check
Primary Location: US-Texas-Kingwood
Work Locations: 20000 Kingwood Dr (0200) , 20000 Kingwood Dr , Kingwood , 77339
Job: Student Services
Organization: LSC Kingwood - 02
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Required Documents: Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Job Posting: Sep 21, 2018, 7:26:57 PM