Manager, Electrical Engineering
Requisition # 2018-9023
Department Engineering & Campus Energy
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
In this critical position, the Manager, Electrical Engineering is tasked with providing necessary electrical engineering and project management services and staff leadership and management required to run a small campus electrical engineering group that is responsible for the entire medium and high voltage electrical system infrastructure operation.
With a staff of over 700 spread across 9 departments and 20 shops, Facilities is a multifaceted organization providing support to the entire Princeton University campus. In order to provide the services needed to maintain and grow a world-class institution. Facilities utilizes an operating budget of over $120 million, a capital program expending nearly $300 million a year, and an annual Major Maintenance program of $45 million.
- Set and oversee standards for all electrical work done on campus.
- Provide master planning for the high voltage electrical distribution system on the main campus.
- Project initiation, budgeting and preparation of plans and specifications, supervision of the installation thereof for various electrical work such as new substations, rewiring of buildings, outdoor and indoor lighting, building revisions, emergency generators and interruptible power supplies.
- Provide oversight of the high voltage distribution system operations, including the coordination of planned power outages and supervision of restoration of the system after power failures.
- Provide lighting designs and project management for campus buildings or walkways.
- Produce data related to electrical system performance and capacity for use by the University for Master Planning, and internal billing.
- Serve as the university's liaison to PSEG for electrical related issues.
- Electrical Engineering Degree
- Extensive experience in Physical Plant Engineering (10-15 years preferred). Strong understanding of the physical Plant's function in respect to the University and the relationship of electrical engineering with those various functions.
- Extensive experience with high voltage power distribution systems.
- Ability to manage concurrent electrical projects and or problems.
- Experience with programmable controllers, and SCADA systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing with a diverse group of people within and outside of the University. Must be a self-starter and be able to work independently.
- Hands on engineer with field experience.
- Available for work during non-working hours as required by the project schedule or emergencies. This position is considered “essential” as defined by Human Resources policies.
- Experience in managing a technical staff of about 2 to 6 and financial planning skills.
- Experience with electrical generation in the 3 to 30 MW size range.
- Professional Engineering License in New Jersey
- Ability to access all electrical equipment in campus substations and buildings.
- Able to enter confined space areas such as underground electric manholes and transformer vaults.
- Ability to operate substation high voltage line disconnect switches, grounding switches, metal-clad switchgear.
- Able to hear and see plant and campus alarms.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University job offers are contingent upon the candidate's successful completion of a background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening, as applicable. The type and extent of background check, reference checks, and pre-employment screening may vary depending on the requirements and/or functions of the job and the candidate's current employment status with Princeton University.
Go to our careers site.