Business Services Category Manager, UCP 9 UCONN ONLY
Job Title: Business Services Category Manager, UCP 9 UCONN ONLY
Job ID: 2019072
Location: Storrs Campus
LIMITED TO UCONN & UCONN HEALTH EMPLOYEES ONLY
The University of Connecticut, Department of Procurement Services, seeks to hire a Business Services Category Manager who will be responsible for the administration and oversight of procurement activities for all business and student support services and/or related goods for all University campuses, including the main campus in Storrs, the Regional campuses and the Medical Center in Farmington.
As a senior level Procurement Specialist reporting to the University Director of Procurement Services, the Business Services Category Manager is accountable for the performance, oversight, and management of all procurement requirements relating to the area of business and/or student support services. This position requires knowledge and expertise to manage the bidding process, negotiation of terms and conditions; creation of strategic plans pertaining to the needs of the campus community; oversight of the procurement of goods and services; and management of awards for the University community. The Business Services Category Manager will also serve as the primary liaison between the vendor, the campus community and Procurement Services for all business and student support services and/or related matters.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Position responsibilities include, but are not limited to, development and maintenance of strong market knowledge for current applicable trends; accountable for performing technically difficult and complex tasks in the procurement and/or sourcing of business activities and related goods and/or services (i.e. moving services, dining/catering services, conference/event planning, air charter, travel management, study abroad programs, marketing services, etc.); building strong partnerships with internal academic partners and various stakeholders to identify new opportunities for negotiated cost savings and measure business impact; applies advanced sourcing methodologies to prepare, develop, and establish complex procurement strategies or complex contracts through vendor negotiations and consultation with University officials, project managers and departmental end-users; manages the coordination and production of procurement or contract compliance reports involving high-level interactions with internal and external departments and vendors; serves as primary liaison to the vendors and University community for business activities/service related matters regarding federal and state statutory requirements and the University's policies and procedures For more information about this position and a full job description, please visit https://procurement.uconn.edu/.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Business or an appropriate discipline, and a minimum of six (6) years professional experience in the procurement of business support services at the University of Connecticut OR an equivalency of education and relevant experience which totals nine (9) or more years' professional experience in procurement of goods/services.
- Intimate knowledge and understanding of the University, State and Federal policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Extensive experience and proven ability to negotiate, administer, and supervise complex procurement activities and bidding processes.
- Experience in vendor relationship management, including oversight of vendor performance and contract compliance.
- Advanced knowledge of accepted procurement practices as applicable to the Business Services industry.
- Ability to assess an organization's needs, communicate those needs to the vendor community, and evaluate contracts to determine technical compliance.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve complex issues, effectively and independently.
- Strong supervisory, leadership, organizational, project management and planning skills with the ability to meet deadlines and facilitate solutions in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal and persuasive skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of employees across functional teams, as well as with management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced computer skills with strong technical skills to work with multiple database programs including the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of automated procurement systems (e.g. Jaggaer) and reporting tools (e.g. Web Focus).
- Dependable transportation and ability to travel to all University campuses and/or to visit vendors/firms in support of University initiatives.
- MBA or advanced degree in related a discipline.
- Extensive knowledge within varied business services and indirect spend categories.
- Strong analytical and financial skills.
- Member of NAEP (National Association for Educational Procurement).
- Six Sigma certification.
- CPM or CPSM preferred.
This is a full-time position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent child tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate's background and experience. For more detailed information about this job opening, please visit: http://www.procurement.uconn.edu/.
Please submit a letter of application, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references including one reference from a current supervisor via UConn Jobs at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Please reference Job ID 2019072.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2019072)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on September 28, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations