Academic Advisor and Recruiting Specialist, College of Science and Mathematics
Posting Date July 16, 2018
Position Title Academic Advisor and Recruiting Specialist, College of Science and Mathematics
Vacancy # V-1520
Department College of Science and Mathematics
Division Academic Affairs
Reporting to the Director of Academic Advising in the College of Science and Mathematics Student Success Center (CSAM-SSC), the Academic Advisor and Recruiting Specialist advises a caseload of Science and Mathematics major students. As an academic advisor, this individual is part of a centralized professional advising team that develops, coordinates, implements, and assesses a variety of activities designed to assist Science and Mathematics undergraduate students in their transition to University life, to ensure that they enroll in appropriate courses, to help them find appropriate department/faculty advising and resources in their major program, and to stay on track to timely degree completion. As a recruiting specialist, this individual will develop and/or support recruiting initiatives at the University, College, and Department levels and coordinate the CSAM K-12 Visiting Scientist Program.
- Supports the execution of a comprehensive and holistic academic central advising program that addresses the needs and promotes academic success of CSAM students.
- Collaborates with CSAM Departments to develop and support recruiting initiatives.
- Provides academic advising to CSAM students, including transactional advising about course selection, developmental advising about personal, career, and major choices, intrusive advising for at-risk students, and academic coaching.
- Maintains a caseload of undergraduate advisees from their admission into or declaration of a CSAM major.
- Maintains currency in the theory and practice of Academic Advising.
- Collaborates with admissions and other school/univerity offices as a typical part of job duties.
- Collaborates with University College and the CSAM Departments to facilitate the transition of University College students into major science and mathematics programs.
- Assists with development and delivery of new student orientation and family orientation programs.
- Helps CSAM students understand and successfully negotiate University processes, procedures, policies, and regulations.
- Collaborates with CSAM Departments on University wide retention initiatives.
- Collaborates with CSAM Departments on University wide advising initiatives and to ensure the consistency and quality of advising across the University
- Participation in college and university events occuring on nights and weekend.
- Coordinates the CSAM K-12 Visiting Scientist Program.
- Partners with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the Graduate School to develop and participate in strategic recruitment activities and initiatives.
- Assists in the selection, training, and evaluation of CSAM Ambassadors and Peer Mentors.
- Represents the CSAM-SSC at University events and on committees as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Master's Degree.
- Two year's full-time professional experience working in higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Facility with enterprise applications and software.
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced, diverse, working environment.
- Familiarity with and experience of working on student success initiatives.
- Familiarity and experience with STEM academic programs.
- Experience with successful and effective student recruiting initiatives.
- Facility with Banner, DegreeWorks, Starfish, and other applications related to student academic records and student support services.
- Familiarity with current understanding of core concepts, values, and competencies of Academic Advising.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION