Job no: 494486
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: University Advancement
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience and grade/range
Applications Open: Jul 16 2018
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
The Development Assistant will support the operational efforts of the Development team. This person will assist with the day-to-day operations, providing administrative support to members of the Development team as well as promoting the University's mission and managing relationships with internal and external constituencies.
Coordinating and maintaining calendar schedules, events and deadlines.
- Ensuring the Development team are well briefed and prepared for scheduled meetings, and all appropriate materials are available.
- Drafting correspondence and other documents as required.
- Prepare and edit a wide variety of reports, analyses, and other documents, most of confidential nature.
- Assist in the planning and development of specific major donor focused events and functions.
- Prepare and coordinate materials for development events, including agenda's, handouts, brochures and other pieces as needed.
- Represent the Advancement department as needed at university meetings with our internal partners.
- On a case by case basis, assist the other units within the Advancement Department, including support for major events hosted by the Alumni Office and the Advancement Operations Office.
- Prepare and process travel reimbursement forms monthly.
- Assisting in the preparation of prospect contact reporting weekly.
- Assisting in reconciling monthly procard transactions/logging.
- Responding to inquiries, taking messages, and directing calls to appropriate staff members and exercising judgment and discretion in responding to requests for information or appointments.
- Checking and responding to emails daily.
- Creating mail merges for letters, labels, name tags, etc.
- Providing coordination and support to affiliated areas and their initiatives as required.
- Attend University level events and Advancement and Alumni Office events as needed to support the operation of those events and activities.
- May support the Executive Director of Development
Working in partnership with the Directors of Development, the assistant will support interactions with leadership level donors and others by:
- Ensuring preparation of donor/prospect materials, proposals and briefings on a timely basis.
- Scheduling meetings with leadership level donors and prospects.
- Ensuring all logistical arrangements have been made and are in place for high level meetings and visits, etc.
- Maintaining records, setting up files and updating as needed.
- Confirming and maintaining the most up to date biographical information on key prospects.
- Maintain a record of university branded giveaways that have been received by key prospects.
- Inform other members of the university community, under the direction of the Directors of Development, when key alumni donors are visiting campus.
- Work with the Executive Director of Development to schedule monthly team performance meetings with the Directors of Development to review interaction with external prospects.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director of Development.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- High School Diploma, or GED equivalent
- 5-7 years of related administrative/office experience
- Minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience of computer software including office applications, data base management, spreadsheets, email/Outlook, Microsoft Word/Excel
- Must be available to work flexible schedules, including some nights and weekends, on and off campus if needed
- Demonstrated communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proven ability to determine and accomplish short and long term goals
- Ability to handle confidential materials and information
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in applying and interpreting departmental policies and procedures
- Ability to respond to difficult situations diplomatically
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Previous work in a University setting preferred
- Experience with PeopleSoft programs, and Adobe Photoshop, preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.
The University of Massachusetts Lowell is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action, Title IX employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age over 40, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or other protected class.